1. NEW TRADE POLICIES COMING TO FORCE SOON: IMPORTANT READ!: READ HERE

A question for toymakers

Discussion in 'Help, Questions and How-To's' started by Cicada, Mar 19, 2018.

1. Cicada

Cicada Member

This one's for anyone who works with silicone casting! I know very little about working with silicone, so I wanted to see if anyone is able to answer this.
    I've been thinking about glow in the dark toys, and I was wondering, is there any specification on what kinds of additives will work with silicone? It seems to me like most pigmented powders would work. I would really love to have a toy which used LIT, the world's glowiest glow pigment, and I think it would work but I want to be sure! I did email the website's team and they said it should work with silicone, but I wanted an opinion from toymakers as well since I'm not sure how the process works. And, if it would work, how much powder would be needed to make, say, a toy about the size of a BD medium?
    The most exciting thing about this to me, and the reason I really want it in a toy, is not only how bright it is but the fact that it can be charged with heat! I love the idea of a toy getting brighter while I use it, it seems so realistic to a glowing monster/dragon/creature and I'm really excited about the possibility!
    I was thinking about contacting a smaller toy company like Primal Hardwere or an etsy shop, since BD definitely wouldn't do this, and see if they'd be willing to put the pigment in a custom toy for me if I bought the pigment and sent it to them.

2. Villie

Villie wrow

Hey! I'm someone who's bought LIT, and used it in silicone.

First things first.... body temperature is not enough to charge up the glow. I've warmed up the container of the powder itself by laying on it for a while, placing it on a hot pizza box, and even placing it in a cup of hot water. No glow

This stuff is super bright when charged up with a uv light, and has a nice decent glow even just from regular light.

A couple different dong makers also did some tests casting silicone with Lit in it, and have spoken to the seller, and have stated it doesn't seem to work much differently than glow in the dark pigments already on the market, and that they were told it's probably not body safe

Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
    VenusFlower likes this.
  3. Villie

Villie wrow

20180307_074332.jpg 20180307_074521.jpg 20180308_113428.jpg 20180308_173523.jpg

VenusFlower likes this.
  4. Villie

Villie wrow

Here's some pics of my LIT silicone experiments!!

This is lit and a little bit of pearlesecent additive into otherwise pigmentless silicone. It results in a sorta creamy offwhite semi-translucent silicone that glows super bright

When charged under a uv light, it'll definitely look like it's glowing even in a lit room, haha

(I also have a pale offwhite bad dragon firmness disc that glows like this)

VenusFlower likes this.
  5. Sleepy

Sleepy Boop~

Biggest issue would be if it was body safe or not. And Villie already answered that they were told its not.

6. Cicada

Cicada Member

Thank you! I didn't even think about it being body safe but I'm glad you brought it up. And it's too bad that body heat isn't enough to charge it, I was really excited about the idea :(
    Super cool to see that someone's already experimented with it though!

7. Villie

Villie wrow

The body heat thing was definitely what I was most excited about when I first saw the announcement for lit! Looks like it needs some rather extreme heats, like being torched, to charge up a glow, though. :'(

8. Cicada

Cicada Member

I guess so. That's really too bad! Maybe one day we'll see something that can be charged up by body heat...