1. NEW TRADE POLICIES COMING TO FORCE SOON: IMPORTANT READ!: READ HERE

The World vs America

Discussion in 'Debates' started by Jazzi the Pegasus, Aug 8, 2014.

1. Jazzi the Pegasus

Jazzi the Pegasus Something Original

I've always been curious on the views that other people from around the world have for us Americans. I know a lot of it isn't nice, but sometimes it can be.

Also, fellow Americans, what is your view on the world? And wishes or hopes for our own country? World issues? Cultures?
    Feel free to also talk about other countries in the world, so that way, this can all be one big happy, aware of others sort of thread!

We shall see what comes.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2014
  2. Willow

Willow Slut and proud!

Hell in a hand basket.
    Well, a lot of problems going on the world and the US isn't really helping. I mean, I don't want to turn this is Pro-Obama or Con-Obama, his domestic policy is fine but his international one sucks balls.
    An Putin needs a serious nad punch.

3. vahaala

vahaala Nobody wants him, he just stares at the world...

There is a lot of stereotypes, saying that Americans are fat, stupid, list can go on and on. But I personally think you are all the most positive-crazy, open and social bunch :p I'm curious though what people think of Poland... But I'm not gonna start thread, because it would clog forums pretty quickly if everybody started it about their country.

4. Willow

Willow Slut and proud!

I'll comment anyway. We don't hear much about Poland, I don't think most Americans have any feelings on it.

DameKathryn likes this.
  5. DameKathryn

DameKathryn Well-Known Member

As a general note, @vahaala, if you're not a major power in the world (or debatable-major-power we have sibling-rivalries with *cough Russia*) we don't really know anything about you. Real history buffs might know how you were effected by WWI and II though. That's about it.

6. Ajax

Ajax Guest

All I know about Poland is that a lot of people with Polish heritage in the States will have a last name ending with -ski. xD

DameKathryn likes this.
  7. DameKathryn

DameKathryn Well-Known Member

My Polish friend from high school's last name was "Gołębiowska" she pronounced it like go-lay-bee-off-ski.
    And this pretty much sums up my knowledge of Poland.

ObeyTheSnarf and vahaala like this.
  8. Ajax

Ajax Guest

xDDD There's a family that comes in the store I work at and they told me that their last name sounds like 'where's-your-house-key' when I asked how to pronounce it. It is actually a really oddly spelled surname ending in -ski as well.

ObeyTheSnarf and DameKathryn like this.
  9. Dr. Tran

Dr. Tran Active Member

As an American, we're too big and diverse for our own good. half the country opposes the other half and it usually results in a constant stalemate when we try to do anything. That and a majority of the situation hold firm to superstition so there's really no progress to be made in some places. We have our share of idiots, but most of the people are well meaning and can get things done with or without an instruction manual. I still find "American Ingenuity" to be one of my favorite keepsakes from this country. We will get shit done one way or another, but only if there is nothing on TV. lol

10. BigBadWolf

BigBadWolf lmnop

I think its a crying f'n shame Ron Paul didn't get in here to clean this shit up.

Where's my gun? *searches for gun*
    K, I'm ready.

11. Abylgan

Abylgan Enigma

I think anyone who thinks any country is 100% right or wrong, good or bad etc (especially in regards to high population countries) are being far too general. Every country has its good and bad points, perhaps more one way or the other, but it's never black and white. It's just as silly to blindly think a country is good as to blindly think it's bad.

RyokoOno, vahaala and DameKathryn like this.
  12. RenascentBeing

RenascentBeing Member

I think the American culture is getting more tolerant and more interested in human rights. There is a big pushback from conservative circles, and you can see them pushing for setbacks, but the overall trend is good. There have been huge strides for gay rights that even Dan Savage didn't expect to happen in this timeframe. So some stereotypes of Americans that exist in Europe (I'm Dutch) clearly don't apply across the board. There are states and places where I could happily settle in, culturally, and some where I would rather chew off my foot than live there as a liberal atheist. But there are places like that here too, they just have less power.

RyokoOno and DameKathryn like this.
  13. Velixer

Velixer The Musical Draconic Muse

Personally, I don't care where it is, PEOPLE AS A WHOLE suck. We're contradicting, manipulative, destructive creatures that are basically a plague to this poor poor planet.

Serathaiya likes this.
  14. Jazzi the Pegasus

Jazzi the Pegasus Something Original

Well hey guys, feel free to talk about any country here! Not just about America. One of our stereotypes that I've heard is we're selfish and think only of ourselves

15. Dracoa

Dracoa Well-Known Member

As an American, I choose only to speak of the countries I've experienced. Admittedly that's not much.

Mexico is pretty nice from what I have seen. The people seem very nice, Mayans included (yes, they still exist, no they don't do the whole human sacrifice anymore). Though I'm sure there are some real dicks there, and everywhere in the world.

As for America, we need to keep our noses out of everyone elses business, we aren't the world police. As for the government, we need to get rid of the party system, it has done what Washington predicted it would and divided the country. As for the people, I'd say it's about 50/50 for dickish/non-dickish people.

My dad's experience is that most people around the world are nice, even to Americans, actually probably nicer to Americans.

16. blackpaw

blackpaw Silky smooth paws for sale

I try not to stereotype countries...it leads to bad places. On the whole I would agree that Americans are very freewheeling and sociable. From what I've seen of the rest of the world (limited), people are friendly and helpful all over, trying to do what they can for their families and communities. That is one thing I wish we Americans would do better, be more invested in our local communities. I think that is a pretty important part of learning to be a member of this planet.

17. MurphyAlter

MurphyAlter The Floofiest

We basically think you're the punching bag of Europe. We don't get taught about Poland, we get taught about who conquered Poland at what times.

vahaala likes this.
  18. RenascentBeing

RenascentBeing Member

And the Netherlands is a doobie-smoking, orgy pile freestate? XD

DameKathryn likes this.
  19. Kukaru

Kukaru Guest

Well in England and the rest of Europe for that matter just say Polish people steal cars a lot. lol

20. PrincessGustopher

PrincessGustopher The Fluffiest Fluff Butt

Canada is awesome. They have Tim Hortons and you've not lived till you've had an Iced Capp. Plus people there are really nice 99% of the time.

US is...uhh...we need a lot of work.