1. NEW TRADE POLICIES COMING TO FORCE SOON: IMPORTANT READ!: READ HERE

What If..

Discussion in 'Debates' started by Misskin, Dec 10, 2015.

1. Misskin

Misskin http://www.furaffinity.net/user/misskin/

I was talking with a coworker today about random shit when the subject of hunting came up. I expressed an interest in trying traditional bow hunting to give props to my great grandmother (Cherokee). So we're talking about what areas nearby open for deer season when in my mind I start thinking about the reason for the hunting is partly do for population control (ie Culling). Human beings practice culling practically on everything on earth except itself...or do we? Its a crackpot theory, but what if there is a sect of our government intentionally not releasing cures for things like cancer, aids, and other diseases simply to keep our population from nuking the planet while simultaneously lining their pockets because expensive meds needed to treat a lifelong illness is way more profitable than curing it. And what about the Rat Utopia experiment? Would The Powers That Be be trying to prevent us from destroying each other like the mice did?
    What do you yall think? Does any of that sound even remotely plausible?

Last edited: Dec 10, 2015
  2. scalie

scalie back pokin' snake

while it is more profitable to keep treating the symptoms of a disease rather than trying to eradicate it I doubt there would ever be an attempt at a government sanctioned culling since if it ever did out it's the kind of thing that would cause violent upheavals and revolutions. it is likely at some point in the future there maycome a time when whichever country has the biggest baddest military might think to completely wipe out another geographical area and claim it for themselves to distribute their population, but it's still unlikely since their neighbors wouldn't be too happy. Considering the exponential growth of the human population over the last century I'd predict that it'll just keep going until we do reach a tipping point we can't recover from either from disease, natural disasters, climate events or war. there is also the concept that politically it's easier to control millions of dumb, scared, desperate people than it is to control and manipulate a relatively small group of powerful, secure individuals

3. Misskin

There is a problem with that. Even if a single country completely wiped out all the others, it wouldn't stop our multiplying. Earth only has so much room. I don't think we'd have the technology soon enough to comfortably colonize space by then (side note: a real life Treasure Planet future sounds fukkin sweeeeet)

4. Reptile

Reptile Semi-Professional Butthole Spelunker

Theres enough room and resources to last a very long time to come.

5. Misskin

I vote for optimism in this case too.
    I mean really, how far ahead are we supposed to be planning anyway? Maybe 200 years at maximum otherwise our whole lives will pass us by working on stuff like this.

6. scalie

scalie back pokin' snake

well unless they are able to develop some kind of faster than light travel that wouldn't potentially kill everyone onboard and destroy everything at the destination point getting to an earthlike planet, which we know of only a few that might potentially be able to support life. either way, for the foreseeable future we're stuck on this rock, and colonies on non-livable planets would need constant repairs and resupply from another source so you'd burn a lot of resources just to shoot stuff out into space for someone else to use, not very practical. and yes, if they did do the whole land grab route then eventually you might have the same problem, but if you instituted a strict one child policy for several decades you would see a slow population decrease and then switchin it to 2 children would keep things relatively stable, but that also relies on people actually following a rule or order which they tend to be very bad at when it conflicts with their emotional desires. honestly by the time we reach a population carrying capacity tipping point the environment is likely going to be so fucked and most resources used up or made too toxic to use that it won't matter much.

7. SnowLycan

SnowLycan ☆*:.。.Mahou shoujo.。.:*☆

Wars are the governments way of culling the masses. Pointless wars thst only line their own pockets while countless die for a cause that is not even real.

Misskin and Vitani like this.
  8. Vitani

Vitani Tertiary antagonist

http://www.upworthy.com/for-the-fir...one-permanently?c=sr1&sr_source=lift_facebook

I'm going to leave this here. Because it sorta relates.There are more of us, and it absolutely is causing irreversible damage already.

I've done extensive research on this topic, but for the sake of sounding crazy, I'd rather keep it to myself. (maybe over PMs if you're really that curious i guess) But basically, the Government is absolutely aware of this issue, and is actually rather sneaky about it.

Misskin likes this.
  9. Misskin

You've basically described a lower tier version of Fallout which sounds both badass and terribly sucky

10. scalie

scalie back pokin' snake

most people worry about warming trends caused by carbon based emissions, which do pose a large threat since CO2 has an impact life of around 400 years before it reaches a point in the carbon cycle where it's relatively permanently locked away in sediments or rocks. methane is another big issue since if warming continues past a certain point (which every bit of CO2 produced today will have an impact for the next 400 years even if we cut global emissions by half tomorrow) as the temperature rises there's likely to be a lot more decay, permafrost melting and staying warm enough to rot and give off methane which is a stronger greenhouse gas than CO2, it has a warming potential 25 times greater than CO2 but has a shorter lifetime in the atmosphere, but it breaks down into CO2. if the oceans get too warm and acidic they would stop absorbing atmospheric CO2 and the calcium carbonate sediments could start to dissolve and release what was already stored away back into the air, there are also the frozen methane clathrates at the bottom of the ocean which if melted would dump a massive amount of methane into the system and likely we'd end up with warming similar to the pleistocene-eocene thermal maximum, but instead of occurring slowly over thousands to millions of years it would all happen in a short time frame which would leave less chance for most species to adapt. aside from that there are numerous volatile chemicals from plastics and other manufacturing that can potentially recombine after breaking down from increased UV exposure that do some nasty stuff. basically it's inevitable at this point, which is why I laugh whenever someone claims that buying a cruelty free organic fair trade free range cotton sweater made in Zimbabwe and shipped halfway around the world using carbon based fuel is somehow miraculously going to save the world, while conveniently ignoring most of their own consumption patterns and the projected population growth rate over the next few decades. it's pessimistic as fuck, but it's too late to stop it, all you can hope to do is slow it down and maybe net a few extra years for your great great grandkids if they aren't going to die from war, drought, famine or the toxic shit we leave behind

Misskin likes this.
  11. MurphyAlter

MurphyAlter The Floofiest

My opinion is that eventually population control will become an issue, but we'll probably solve it with mandatory birth control after whatever number of children. It's easier morally and economically for the population to plateau, rather than to get lopped in half overnight.