1. NEW TRADE POLICIES COMING TO FORCE SOON: IMPORTANT READ!: READ HERE

Allons-y!

Discussion in 'Fandom Stuff' started by Willow, Aug 20, 2014.

1. doit666

doit666 Forever confused

Well, I've been exposed to many Doctors, my brother was a huge fan of the classic series but I couldn't get into it. It moved at a slow pace and everything looked like shit. The new series started and I saw a few episodes and they were ok, nothing special so I didn't really keep up.

At one point I decided to go back and watch all of the new series cause I had the time. They were hit and miss a lot of the time, Tennant played the role well, but he had some REALLY shitty scripts. I almost stopped watching altogether after the bullshit that was the series 3 finale. Eventually I started again from where I left off and I made it to the 5th series, Matt Smith.

That is when I fell in love with the series. Matt Smith is my favorite doctor, and the 5th series was my favorite. I don't think anything will ever top it. The 6th series was great too. I fell out of love again with the 7th series which felt like a hurried mess to get to exciting plot points, but not really having anything connecting them. I really hope they have more cohesion with the new series.

But enough about that, enjoy Rowan Atkinson as The Doctor.

Dracoa likes this.
  2. MurphyAlter

MurphyAlter The Floofiest

From what I heard, they're going to focus more on the single-episode plots like before, because a lot of people didn't care for the whole-season plot arcs.

3. doit666

doit666 Forever confused

Aww, I liked having the plot arcs, but if they try to fit 2-3 years worth of stuff in one series like it felt like with series 7, it should be fine.

4. Dracoa

Dracoa Well-Known Member

From what I understand, Moffat finally going to do what people have been accusing him of all along, people are gonna die. He used the word "visceral" a lot to describe Season 8.

And "An Adventure in Space and Time" just came on on BBC America. End of it breaks my heart every time.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2014
  5. Willow

Willow Slut and proud!

Yeah, I didn't get the see the beginng of that... looked real interesting.

6. doit666

doit666 Forever confused

I watched that, which made me want to watch "The Beginning" (the first three episodes of the classic series). It was interesting to see how it start be dear LORD are the episodes slow paced.

7. Dracoa

Dracoa Well-Known Member

William Hartnell believed in the show when basically no one else did. He just knew it would go on and on. And he was very ill. He loved the role, but the illness was winning.

Considering the age gap between Capaldi and Jenna, it's likely that there will be a father/daughter relationship between the two. If that's the case, during a particularly dangerous adventure there are 5 words Capaldi's Doctor could say that would be absolutely heartbreaking. "Stay in the TARDIS, Susan!"

Last edited: Aug 22, 2014
  8. Willow

Willow Slut and proud!

OMG, that would be a killer line. In both senses of the word.

9. Dracoa

Dracoa Well-Known Member

If it was first said during Clara's last episode... the tears of the fandom would fill an ocean.

Kaiyodei likes this.
  10. doit666

doit666 Forever confused

Too much of an old Who reference, no way it would get used as it would just cause confusion

11. Willow

Willow Slut and proud!

Just like never hearing about Jelly Babies.

12. Dracoa

Dracoa Well-Known Member

Reverse the Jelly Baby of the neutron flow!

13. Dracoa

Dracoa Well-Known Member

Not really. Rings of Akhatan had many references to Classic Who. The Doctor says he had taken his granddaughter (Susan) there before. The universes (plural) where the laws of physics were devised by the mind of a mad man is multiple story arcs, "The Celestial Toymaker", "The Mind Robber", and "The Three Doctors" (Mad man in question here is The Omega, to whom there's been a few indirect references, like the military church in Demon's Run, their symbol is an omega symbol). When threatened, Matt Smith jumped into a Venusian Akido stance, which hasn't been seen in decades on the show.

14. Willow

Willow Slut and proud!

Well yes, I'm sure there a lot of references that not only fly over peoples heads, but completely missed. Even by some people who have seen classic Doctor Who. I must admit, I was able to see too much of it... blame Netflix for deciding to show what they felt was necessary. They have nothing of the 6th Doctor, granted, he's not considered one of the better Doctors, but that was done intentionally.

15. blackpaw

blackpaw Silky smooth paws for sale

I've watched a number of seasons of DW, but I just don't see the appeal. Maybe I should check out the newest seasons, but the classics and 90's version just didn't do anything for me. Same thing happened when I watched Lost and 24. It was interesting, but just couldn't hold my attention like Blacklist, House of Cards, Star Trek, Farscape, House, or West Wing could.

16. Willow

Willow Slut and proud!

Well I never watched 24 but I did see LOST. The problem I have with LOST is that they would rarely give ANY answers to the plethora of questions. And when they did give any answer it just raised MORE questions. I know that was a device to get you to keep watching... but for me it just started to piss me off. And the fact there was someone saying "Oh, lets keep this thing a secret" when there was absolutely NO POINT for doing so... and invariably, that other person would find out. I couldn't keep watching it.

With Doctor Who they actually do answer the questions that pop out. I mean in the first season with "The Empty Child" and "The Doctor Dances", you're like... "oh there's no way the could ties this up to make sense"... yet, they do! It all comes together in the end. And that episode freaked me out. And all the references they make add to it. I can take a little while to get into it, but I'm glad I did.
    The classic DW version is different from the newer one. For one, these Doctors travel way more than the previous ones. And they wrap it up in usually 1 episode rather than stretched across 4. The special effects, at least in earlier ones, are nothing special, but greatly updated from the classic. I so have some issues with the original... but I liked to give it shot. I wouldn't have seen the reference of the first few seconds of the 50th anniversary if I didn't see the very first episode.
    I slso watched the Star Trek series (with the exception of Enterprise) and House.

17. Dracoa

Dracoa Well-Known Member

About 15 minutes until I go into Do-Not-Disturb mode for the new episode.

18. Black-Cat

Black-Cat Old BD Lurker

I watched it earlier, and all I can say is that Capaldi won me over already.

19. Dracoa

Dracoa Well-Known Member

Don't know how I feel about Capaldi just yet. I'm kinda warming up to him, but not quite there yet.

20. Willow

Willow Slut and proud!

It can take a while to get used to a new one. I mean, ya gotta wait for his regeneration to totally complete for any real action can happen. I WAS kinda hoping for a little more action and little less Clara going on about it's not the Doctor... but than again Rose did that with the 10th doctor too.

Black-Cat likes this.