1. NEW TRADE POLICIES COMING TO FORCE SOON: IMPORTANT READ!: READ HERE

Anyone know about resurfacing metal?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bucky'sBestGirl, Apr 17, 2016.

1. Bucky'sBestGirl

Bucky'sBestGirl "Fate, up against your will..." - The Killing Moon

Totally random, but does anyone know if it's possible to basically resurface a piece of metal? I thiiiink it's chrome, but it's probably just an alloy of some type with a chrome plating. It's got some scratches, that big one feelable with a fingernail....dropped it and.... yup... is this something I can salvage and shine up again or should I just buy a new one? (Thankfully easily replaceable!)
    IMG_20160127_212822.jpg

2. GuyStripes

GuyStripes An automatonic shark pirate

@scalie might be your best bet.

The guy knows a couple things.

Exeter likes this.
  3. Bucky'sBestGirl

Sweet, I'll poke him. :3 Thank ya!

4. scalie

scalie back pokin' snake

you rang? saw the thread before I noticed the message. from the looks of it that's likely chrome or nickle plated die cast zinc, there's no way of really knowing unless the coating starts to chip off or it gets cracks. as far as refinishing goes, your best bet is polishing, though it is possible that polishing out a deep scratch like that could wear through the plating. you could give it the old magnet test to see if it's at least ferrous or non-ferrous underneath. if you want it to be like brand new, then you'll probably have to get a new one.

Bucky'sBestGirl likes this.
  5. Bucky'sBestGirl

I did indeedy! I've had it almost a year now with no cracking or chipping, so who knows what it is. ^^ I'll try the magnet test and try polishing it and see what happens. I'm not fussed if I have to replace it, but I'd rather see if I can fix it meself first before I order another one from the U.K. Thanks muchly!! ^^