1. NEW TRADE POLICIES COMING TO FORCE SOON: IMPORTANT READ!: READ HERE

Birth Control to help with periods...need some advice!

Discussion in 'Help, Questions and How-To's' started by Bucky'sBestGirl, Sep 14, 2014.

1. Bucky'sBestGirl

Bucky'sBestGirl "Fate, up against your will..." - The Killing Moon

Hey there! Currently going through one of my harder periods atm, and I'm getting so sick of dreading each month, wondering if I'm going to wake up at 4am, wracked with cramps so bad I can feel them in my thighs, when all I want is to go back to sleep, waiting 45 minutes or more for pills to kick in and the pain to stop, dreading feeling like shit....I could go on....so my question is this: how many, if any, of you have gone on BC of any kind solely to suppress your period? Did it work, were there any side effects and if so, were they bad enough to make you switch or stop entirely? I want to meet with my gyno and discuss this further, but I'd also like to know if anyone can recommend what kind would be best for someone who often forgets to take pills. If I can, I'd like to never have a period again, but I want to be able to do so safely, weighing the risks vs benefits.
    Thanks for reading,
    Trek, currently in a ball on the bed. :(

2. YogSothoth

YogSothoth Most definitely a vagina wielder

I had an implant, but as a side-effect my libido was gone and it had a bad influence on my mood, so I would advice against that one. I'm now not on hormones, and my monthly pains are through the roof, so I feel your pain. I had the least menstrual pains while being on the pill.

The following I have no personal experience with. If you're not good at remembering to take pills, I would either go with Nuva Ring (it's a small ring you put far into your vagina, and you'll take it out every three weeks for a "period", before going onto a new one; you can also skip periods by starting a new ring immediately).
    The other option is a Mirena. All the women I know who have one, don't have their periods anymore (only a bit of spotting, sometimes).

3. Bucky'sBestGirl

First of all, LOVE your avatar/username. I'm a big Lovecraft nerd, so you get points! :) Oh man, the implant turned my sis into a raving psycho.... @.@ I would be half-afraid of nearly killing someone if it affected my moods like it did hers. Plus, my libido/sex is pretty important to my overall mental/emotional health, so that puts the implant even more out if it can tank your libido. Hmmm. I'm very hinky about the Mirena and other IUDs but the Nuva Ring sound promising, especially as a place-it-and-forget til time to swap it out. I'd definitely prefer to skip periods entirely, so good to know that I can just start a new ring right off.
    Thank you!
    (the pills finally kicked in!)

4. YogSothoth

YogSothoth Most definitely a vagina wielder

Yay I get points! And hurray for painkillers kicking in.

Bucky'sBestGirl likes this.
  5. Vitani

Vitani Tertiary antagonist

I was on birth control pills for a whole year before I had to stop.

It killed my sex drive
    It made me hormonal and moody all the time. I was always extremely irritable and picked fights with people I cared about
    It ruined my creative drive, and put me in the worst art block I've ever been in.
    It made my depression and anxiety worse

In the end, I now refuse to take any form of hormonal birth control. I'd rather eat ibuprofen for 4 days a month then be on that shit again. x.X

On the plus side though:

I hardly bled - it at all. I would have to buy pregnancy tests every month to make sure I wasn't pregnant though.
    It made my breasts slightly bigger and fuller (but I didn't have a sex drive so there was no point lol)
    It cleared up the acne on my face and shoulders.

P.S. I looked into a hormone free IUD - they will not give you any IUDs unless you've had at least one child. Otherwise your cervix is too tight. They could measure you and see, but generally, it's a no.

6. Bucky'sBestGirl

@Vitani Yikes, that sucks! I'm sorry you had such a crap experience on BC. I'm willing to take the risk just long enough to see how I do on it, but I'll go for a version that I can stop ASAP if I need. As for the IUD, I don't have kids and never will, but I personally don't trust IUDs..that's just me.

7. Vitani

Vitani Tertiary antagonist

The negative effects didn't start right away. They happened slowly, and over time, so I barely noticed it until I was so miserable. And because I was on it for a year, it took about 4 months for things to start to go back to normal. (and some things are still kinda wonky)

8. Juliamon

Juliamon Am I a Digimon or am I a Pokemon? It is a mystery.

My friend uses an IUD (don't know which one) and while it completely stops the bleeding she gets worse cramps than she did before.

I've been on Ortho-Cyclen for... hm, 15 years? I don't think I've had any negative side effects, though I'll admit I've never had much of a libido in the first place (and I'm also on other pills that would suppress it anyway). I love the pill, my periods only last 5 days at most and are very light. My sister hasn't been so lucky, her periods are still multiple-'overnight'-pads-per-day heavy, but she's on a different pill than me. I don't think it's affected her libido. (Full disclosure: we both take them for PCOS, but for me it was originally because I had debilitating periods that made me miss school at least once a month.)

Really, the only way to find out is to give it a shot. Every body is different!

9. Icestar

Icestar Transformers!

i might have to look with the Nuvaring... something i wouldnt mind to work with. and 98% effective sounds pretty good, and i know that i wouldnt feel that there. and skipping periods sounds pretty good to me.

10. Bucky'sBestGirl

I'm thinking about the NuvaRing too....Gonna make an appointment with my gyno and see what's out there for me. :3 Thanks everyone!!!

Vitani likes this.
  11. motrax

motrax Member

Went on some for PCOS bs, so far so good, no weird 8mo long periods or 6mo period absences. Take my pill at the same time every day to the minute, I just have my phone alarm go off with an alert that says 'meds' and I go and take all my medicines.

Periods are still a little heavy but nothing like before where it was change double overnight pads every hour or get blood on that chair.

12. RyokoOno

RyokoOno Active Member

I had life threatening cardiac and circulatory symptoms when I was on hormonal birth control. Never again.
    Just take ginger root capsules for the cramps, drowsiness, and headaches.
    2 Capsules two to 3 times a day. Alleviates indigestion too, and slightly boosts arousal.