1. NEW TRADE POLICIES COMING TO FORCE SOON: IMPORTANT READ!: READ HERE

Calling all Tolkien fans!

Discussion in 'Fandom Stuff' started by Grimmyr, Aug 6, 2014.

1. Grimmyr

Grimmyr Skitstövel ー!

I am a huge fan of Tolkien's work. I am really enjoying the Hobbit movies, and am very stoked for the next (and last) movie! Are all of you guys excited for it? Not so much?

What other bits from Tolkien's work do y'all enjoy? Any Silmarillion fans out there? :0

2. Kitsy_The_Fox

Kitsy_The_Fox Noir Fox

Haven't honestly read it yet. I haven't read the hobbit lately either, shame that. But it always comes out in December, so I always get a birthday gift from Jackson...

I kinda miss High School. Always had my nose in the LOTR books at lunch.

3. Ajax

Ajax Guest

Hnnnnngggggg LotR is my favorite. As silly as it sounds, I really would like a LotR inspired tattoo sleeve. I started reading the Silmarillion a while ago but need to get back into it. Also super pumped for the last Hobbit movie!!
    Someday I will need to visit New Zealand so I can pretend to be in Middle-earth.

4. Grimmyr

Grimmyr Skitstövel ー!

Man, I miss high school too. Though one year I wanted to do a book report on the LoTR trilogy and my English teacher told me no. Apparently, it's cheating if I did it on a book that had a movie. :T Sigh...

I've heard that Silmarillion is hard for some people to get into, which I can understand. It gets -really- confusing!

5. blackpaw

blackpaw Silky smooth paws for sale

I'm a huge Tolkein fan...been one since I was 9 years old and first read the Hobbit (took me 2 years to finish it though lol). To be honest, I've been disappointed with the Hobbit movies. Probably more to the fact that I see it as a shameless money grab rather than creating an awesome movie experience from the book. Same reasons I had issues with the Harry Potter movies actually. But, I'll still go and see them all.

DameKathryn likes this.
  6. DameKathryn

DameKathryn Well-Known Member

I do and don't consider myself a Tolkien fan. I love the original movies and although I haven't read the books, I've listened to a radio performance of them. The changes I noticed between the book and movie upset me a bit, specifically when they changed character personalities.

In general I have trouble reading Tolkien and I blame my ADHD and Dyslexia. I've also listened to the Hobbit on tape.

In regard to the hobbit movies, I won't watch them. I hate hate hate that it was split into a trilogy with bits and pieces added in to extend it. It's money whoring crap and I refuse to give it money.

(edited for typos)

Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
  7. VixenWitch

VixenWitch Member

Dame, I found that the additions to the story helped cement Tolkien's disconnected scenes together, and I thought a trilogy allowed them to more fully explore the story.

That said...I have only seen the first Hobbit movie as yet and I am not that hard to please with movies so...take my opinion with a grain of salt

8. othersounds

othersounds Guest

Oh, how did I miss the Tolkien thread?
    I love Tolkien and the Midde-earth he created. I've read The Hobbit twice, The Silmarillion, Unfinished Tales and I'm about to read Lord of the Rings for the second time. I'm completely blown away by how massive and complex this world he created is. The LotR movies are, you guessed it, my favourite ones of all time. Watching the movies after you've read the books and The Silmarillion... It's a completely different experience.

I remember reading of the downfall of Númenor in The Silmarillion. One of the best parts in the book. It's up there with Beren and Lúthien. T_T

Bucky'sBestGirl likes this.
  9. Exeter

Exeter Cuddly, Snuggly, Slutty Dragon

Here's the newest trailer if anyone hasn't seen it! I'm more excited for this than I was for the last two, even if they're clearly gone WAY off the source material now.

10. othersounds

othersounds Guest

They sure have but I have a feeling that this one will be the best of the three.

11. Grimmyr

Grimmyr Skitstövel ー!

I've seen all the trailers and am up to date with everything! Super excited for this one, too. :3 Not sure which of the movies will be my favorite, though. D: They're all so good.

12. Soulaire

Soulaire Chronic Roleplayer

I love the whole medieval, magic, adventure, etc style books. Tolkien and Jordan are probably the best I've read. Even more so than the people who write the D&D books.

But seriously, Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series. Tolkien is an amazing writer, but this series just blows everything away.

13. Exeter

You can't call yourself a true Tolkien fan unless you love this stuff. Because Tom Bombadil was pretty much his favourite part of the damn franchise.

14. othersounds

othersounds Guest

Oh my god, I have never heard this before. This is fantastic.

Exeter likes this.
  15. Exeter

I listen to it every single day lol.

There's always more Lord of The Rings music :3

This is a fan song that turns the rest of the poem into the form of the song from the movies

They did a second part

Here's the song Evenstar on an Ocarina. There's a lot of the franchise's songs on Ocarina on youtube if you look for them!

Here's a song I love from the crappy Fellowship of the Ring video game from years ago, but I do love the song. It's some popular melody that also appeared in Stronghold.

Bucky'sBestGirl and othersounds like this.
  16. Grimmyr

Grimmyr Skitstövel ー!

17. othersounds

othersounds Guest

I can't wait 'til I get to see the final movie. I'll be watching it alone so I can focus on nothing but the movie.

Exeter likes this.
  18. Exeter

I'm going with boyfriend #1 and his family, it's a christmas tradition to get Swiss Chalet and see a big holiday movie, that's it this year. ^^

We go in 7 days!

19. othersounds

othersounds Guest

That sounds like a really enjoyable tradition. There's something about going to be movies that's really nice. I can't really find the right words at the moment though. Oh well!

20. Kitsy_The_Fox

Kitsy_The_Fox Noir Fox

Spoiler Alert.
    I didn't like it. This movie is just TOO MUCH ACTION PACKED WAR ERRGH. It loses it's oomph when your heroes are so badass at one point and then get oddly punked out by ONE orc who has LESS FUCKING ARMOR THAN EVERY OTHER ORC YOU WERE KILLING. OR NO ARMOR. YOU CAN'T DO THAT IT MAKES NO SENSE. It literally felt like they couldn't figure out how to do both the battle of Smaug (WHICH SHOULD'VE BEEN IN THE LAST MOVIE, HONESTLY FITS BETTER THERE), and then the war of the five kingdoms...so they decided to have a little bit of plot wrapped around all the CGI fighting you ever wanted. Don't get me wrong, I like some of the fight scenes, but...it just loses it's fun after the first 30 minutes...there's at LEAST an hour of this constant CGI warring or something, I swear. It's bland.