1. NEW TRADE POLICIES COMING TO FORCE SOON: IMPORTANT READ!: READ HERE

circumcision yes, no, maybe?

Discussion in 'Debates' started by Searlefm, Aug 8, 2014.

?

yes or no

1. yes, aesthetic

9.5%
  2. yes, health reasons

19.0%
  3. no, aesthetic

36.5%
  4. no, health reasons

46.0%
  5. maybe?

27.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. MurphyAlter

MurphyAlter The Floofiest

Sorry, I get kind of passionate about this...

2. DameKathryn

DameKathryn Well-Known Member

Personally, I consider myself Christian and I have NEVER thought of circumcision as a traditional Christian practice. It is done, and it is done to and by Christians, but it has no religious meaning in itself. I even read up on it, and really it's generally considered to NOT be a tradition of Christianity.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religious_male_circumcision#In_Christianity
    http://www.cirp.org/pages/cultural/glass2/
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/religion/religions/christianity/christianethics/circumcision.shtml

Also this represents how some Christians pick and choose what to follow from the Old Testament. In Leviticus, you see a covenant made specifically between God and the Israelites/Jewish people. These do not apply to Christians, which is why Christians don't traditionally do really any of the things outlined IN Leviticus. Also, in Galatians, it is said that we are not cursed because Jesus died to become our curse. If you think you have to circumcise your children because you are Christian, I would expect that you would also follow all the other old Jewish laws found in Leviticus.
    Circumcision in Leviticus
    An explanation of why we are not forced to follow Leviticus.

And truly, if you are perfectly okay with your children not being Christian, or not following the lifestyle you would set out for them, you should be able to trust that should they want to get a circumcision to further their faith (if that's what they believe), that they can do it when they are old enough to decide to do so for themselves.

Soulaire, MurphyAlter and Dracoa like this.
  3. Jasmine

Jasmine New Member

I'm going to duck out of here after this post so the conversation doesn't get side-tracked further on religion.

@DameKathryn I will love my children if they aren't Christian, yes. That doesn't mean I wouldn't be devastated by them leaving the faith and all that entails. I don't appreciate being called a choosy Christian for admitting to struggling with hermeneutics. I had four years of Biblical studies in undergrad and I'm currently at seminary (not for any sort of pastoral role, but for integration) and this stuff is still difficult. We don't observe Levitical code, but it made sense in it's proper context. I never said I have to circumcise my child because of the law, but rather that it's been seen as a dedication to follow the new covenant, rather than the old. Which doesn't even make much sense because then you have to mix testaments and my head hurts now. Liberal and Conservative pastors are endlessly confusing in arguing different things for the same point.

I'm sorry for upsetting people. I was just trying to share a different view.

Love you all, peace out.

4. DameKathryn

DameKathryn Well-Known Member

I apologize, I didn't mean to say directly that you are the type of Christian that picks and chooses things, just that it reminded me of that train of thought. (ETA: The "you" in that paragraph wasn't YOU @Jasmine, but generally). You are allowed to believe whatever it is that you would want to believe, I just happen to disagree with this particular nugget of belief. (If that would make sense)

5. Searlefm

Searlefm Well-Known Member

actually the penis is more sensation with one and that is objectively true based on the number of the nerve ending on the foreskin.
    just Google it the thing has a stupid amount of nerve ending its around 20,000~70,000.
    that's just a silly amount and for some reason it has ever more then the actual head of the penis.

Dracoa likes this.
  6. Willow

Willow Slut and proud!

But how do you quantify half-good? I'm cut and I'm not depressed or displeased with it. It feels great and happy about it. Maybe it would feel even better with foreskin, but I'm fine with what I have.
    What about the word "doomed"... that wasn't addressed.

7. MurphyAlter

Sorry, I was being dramatic.

ALSO, I THOUGHT OF A GOOD REASON TO GET CIRCUMCISED!

It reduces shit-dick!

8. Grimmyr

Grimmyr Skitstövel ー!

All really good points, honestly! But I generally believe when a person wants to do something religious for the sake of religion and being a faithful person, do it for YOURSELF. Don't do things for people you think may be a better Christian or whatever it is (I don't understand anything religious.. Probably why I'm not--it gets too confusing for me), because in the end that can just be their decision.

I can think of very valid reasons to get circumcised too, but I think in the end it should really be left up to the person the foreskin is attached to. It'd be like cutting off your baby's middle finger on the second day of birth because in your religion it means you are a devout...ly religious. Well, what if that kid chooses not to be religious later on in life?

I know some people get their kids circumcised even for no religious reasons, which is okay! I just really think some people should consider the pros AND cons of the ordeal, instead of just doing it because -they- think it's okay.

Dracoa likes this.
  9. Searlefm

Searlefm Well-Known Member

i like the middle finger analogy

10. Grimmyr

Grimmyr Skitstövel ー!

It was honestly the only thing I could think of. xD AND I LOVE MY MIDDLE FINGER. Don't you dare take it.

11. MurphyAlter

It's really the only finger that matters.

12. Dracoa

Dracoa Well-Known Member

When you think about it, a circumcised boy is basically given the middle finger as far as choice is concerned.

13. MurphyAlter

Indeedy

14. Soulaire

Soulaire Chronic Roleplayer

I see a lot of pros to being uncircumcised. But at the same time, I feel there are just more to being circumcised than not. I just think it looks better, it's cleaner, etc...

And all that about relgious reasoning behind it, yeah, as Christians, we don't really follow Mosaic Law anymore. Circumcision hasn't been part of Christianity at any point in it's history beyond the Hessianic Jew-Christians of Paul's time. So ah, yeah, it's not a Christian thing, Christians just do it because it's become tradition for them. And it's the general American thing now to be done at birth.

15. CreativeNameHere

CreativeNameHere Active Member

I only support circumcision if it's necessary for health. I'm a "keep what you've got" kinda guy. I'm personally circumcised, and while I wish I weren't, I opted to have it done for health reasons. I was born with phimosis-- the hood couldn't go past the head. I tried alternatives before seeking surgical treatment, but nothing really worked. The only drawback I've found to being cut is that I've lost the sensitivity associated with the nerves in the foreskin itself. I never was able to fully expose the head before, so I can't comment on that. Overall, I'm pretty indifferent when it cums to cumming. The only thing I miss is being able to play with my foreskin, but I can more than make up for that feeling with anal play. :B

16. Erethizon-dorsatum

Erethizon-dorsatum Eats all the lichen.

You summed it up fairly well. Certain health-related circumstances can certainly justify a circumcision for men later in life. Phimosis can be a real problem for some guys, while others can learn to live with it. I recently met a guy who went through similar circumstances. I am sure you appreciated having the choice.

Personally, I would love to see a shift in our societal perceptions on circumcision. The default should be to leave your children intact. Hygiene isn't an issue if you teach your kids how to clean it properly. In my opinion, the benefits of having foreskin far outweigh any reason to have it removed.

17. Erethizon-dorsatum

Erethizon-dorsatum Eats all the lichen.

Being circumcised is no excuse for poor hygiene. Uncircumcised men can have clean dicks too!

18. aazhie

aazhie Member

I work at a hospital and hearing babies cry after they get cut is the most agonized sound ever. And they don't stop. My coworker came from a religious family that believed in circumcision but they waited until the kids were old enough to choose. It was more a "now you are a man" thing and sounded way less awful. So I do not believe it is a medically necessary procedure for about 99% of babies, but as a thing later in life it doesn't bother me if they at least get some kind of say in the matter.

19. MurphyAlter

Thank you. Its so sad hearing the hygiene argument, because its basically saying, "I'm so uncomfortable talking to my kid about penis, that I'll cut it off to avoid it."

Erethizon-dorsatum and aazhie like this.
  20. Reptile

Reptile Semi-Professional Butthole Spelunker

I'm circumcised. I'm not upset about being circumcised, and it's pretty stupid when people assume it's their place to tell me that I should be.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2014
    aazhie likes this.