1. NEW TRADE POLICIES COMING TO FORCE SOON: IMPORTANT READ!: READ HERE

Cleaning - Smoke

Discussion in 'Help, Questions and How-To's' started by Voordal, Dec 16, 2018.

1. Voordal

Voordal New Member

I recently had a fire at my house, and while the two toys I have were largely secured away from it, they do have a faint smoke scent. I haven't cleaned them just yet (still in the process of removing things, so priorities and all).

Is cleaning something like this as simple as just washing them as normal? Should I be concerned about smoke damage with this material?

2. Voordal

Voordal New Member

Moved into new place and re-acquired toys. Anyone have insight on this?

Feverdream likes this.
  3. Zastavan

Zastavan Abandoned Account

I would just throw them out. Because of all the carcinogens that are released and created when household stuff burns I wouldn't want to eat, fuck, or have long term exposure to anything that was exposed to a house fire like that. Better to just add it to the fire insurance tally or lawsuit if applicable

That said soaking it in baking soda may work. Like a fuck ton of baking soda with water might pull some of the smell out aswell if your really motivated a wipe down with acetone. As acetone is stated here as being capable of not melting toys and getting rid of some odors (https://www.squarepegtoys.com/support/how-do-i-remove-the-odor-from-my-plug/) I would not use industrial or painting acetone you would find in the hardware section. I would try to find something more meant for body contact at the very least. And as pure as possible. I think some nail polish removers are pure acetone but I maybe wrong.

Honestly if its just two toys its just $200 if that, right? I wouldn't say thats a worthy trade off for potential risks like exposure to the nasty stuff that is in the smoke from a home fire.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
  4. Feverdream

Feverdream Well-Known Member

I don't think your toys are necessarily ruined.

You can try a long boil - I use a giant pot which I bought on Ebay just for this purpose (it's kind of cheap but it does the trick). The point is to use a lot of water, and not use a pot that you cook with. I've boiled toys for 45 minutes before, with good results.

Also, there is supposedly an "old nurse's trick" using toothpaste as a type of soap, which supposedly masks tough odors. You should Google that, I bet there is info online.