1. NEW TRADE POLICIES COMING TO FORCE SOON: IMPORTANT READ!: READ HERE

Depression and Anxiety Support Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dr. Tran, Aug 14, 2014.

?

Fuck depression...

Poll closed Oct 2, 2014.
  1. In the ass

8 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. in the ear

3 vote(s)
    15.0%
  3. In the eye

4 vote(s)
    20.0%
  4. in the mouth

4 vote(s)
    20.0%
  5. with a cactus

10 vote(s)
    50.0%
  6. with fire

14 vote(s)
    70.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Blinding

Blinding Well-Known Member

I was similar a while back, I was cold emotionally and logical about everything, except I didn't put on a mask, instead I displayed that pretty much everywhere. I actually convinced myself that I was better off suppressing how I felt about things, about being numb, and that was in part because at that point in my life, with the way my step-father was treating me and my mother's allowance of that, as well as having to move to the boondocks because the group of people I considered friends decided to make some random ass shit up that actually caused legal issues I felt completely unwanted, distrusted everybody and had a lot of angst to vent. To kinda fulfill that desire for social interaction, I'd debate stupid shit with people like there was no tomorrow, because like I said, I put my logical side and intelligence above all else.

What helped me deal with that, which isn't at all going to be helpful for you, is that I managed to somehow stumble upon a couple of people who would become cemented in my life for the next 8 or so years that saw through that, or maybe they didn't believe that somebody could actually be like that, and ended up getting me to open up. The woman I'm currently committed to actually took my first kiss, which was a huge turning point that I didn't even realize at the time, because that gave me that feeling of being wanted again and put a nice little crack in my logical shell of sorts, and as I grew closer to these people I got over that feeling on wanting to be numb and started to become, well, normal I guess.

As far as you, therapy, like Murphy said, can absolutely do wonders. It hasn't worked for me in the past, but I'm witnessing it first hand with my little brother, who has gone from having absolutely no hope and being suicidal to being full of life in just a few short months, so I would definitely look into that.

2. GuyStripes

GuyStripes An automatonic shark pirate

I'll consider therapy, but I've tried it in the past and it just didn't work for me.

3. MurphyAlter

MurphyAlter The Floofiest

Gotta keep trying. You have to find a therapist you're totally comfortable with, and for some people that's a harder process than it is with others.

4. Reptile

Reptile Semi-Professional Butthole Spelunker

so has anyone been helped by this thread? I'd like to hear about it.

5. Misskin

Misskin http://www.furaffinity.net/user/misskin/

I like to believe that I've helped someone whos posted here, but whether that's true or not is another story >_>

6. Reptile

I just bet you did.

Misskin likes this.
  7. MurphyAlter

Wow. Amazing how you can be good for months, then the simplest little thing, like not having veggies in the house, can send you into a depressive spiral. I just spent twenty-five minutes screaming and crying into a pillow about how I want to eat like a normal person and exercise regularly, instead of being the fat, overeating, lazy fucking slob that I am now, as well as how I don't actually want/think I could handle going on to get my AS at the local college, and then back to how I don't take care of myself. All sorts of fun. Bleh...

8. Wolfcat

Wolfcat Well-Known Member

It sucks when you can't control what food is being bought. You might ask if you can have some input on the grocery shopping.
    And I know what you mean about "things going well for months," before feeling like trash. Just happened to me recently for no discernable reason.
    Treat yourself nice, and wait for the feeling to blow over. That's all I can ever do in those situations.

It's more for moral support. What else can we do across the internet? Nobody is "fixing" anyone, especially when a lot have some deep rooted anxiety, depression, and self esteem issues. We can't fix that; only offer support when others need it.

9. MurphyAlter

I live in a "Don't complain about stuff being done for you" household. In other words, if I asked for a say in food purchases, I'd be expected to contribute to the grocery bill.

10. Wolfcat

That's where I come from.
    Ask if a bit of money that goes to things you already eat can instead go to things you would prefer (like vegetables.) It's literally $0 extra dollars out of their pocket. Just spent on different things.

Though, since I know "the type," you're referring to, I wouldn't be surprised if straight logic like that was ignored.

11. Reptile

I've noticed. in fact I've begun to reevaluate the importance of other people to mental health.

12. Misskin

Misskin http://www.furaffinity.net/user/misskin/

I think maybe that depends on the individual.
    If you believe that you can solve your own emotional or mental issues on your own, then yes hell you can, but on the flip side, if you believe that you can't, then you're still right.

13. Reptile

I suppose we'll see.

14. Wolfcat

How do you mean? People can positively or negatively affect your mental health.
    If you mean, in general, that you need people around to be mentally healthy: I agree.

15. Reptile

the second part.

16. Wolfcat

Ah, most definitely. As someone who hasn't been social IRL for nearly a decade: Definitely. I've only very recently realized how important social ties are, whereas before I (felt like) I was getting along without them just fine.

17. Reptile

are online relationships very different from real life ones in your experience?

18. Wolfcat

In my experience, yes. I don't feel online relationships alone give you everything you need. Nothing beats going out and doing *things* with people you like from time to time. I really, really miss that (it happens, but so rarely these days. My RL social network is a bit small.)
    I've found online relationships (friendships, specifically) tend to wane rather quickly if you don't keep in touch somewhat regularly. There's just a weaker bond between people that never meet. That said, I've also met people online that I'd love to meet (and plan to, in some cases. Might be visiting someone this summer.) If you want to be more than an "acquaintance" of someone, online, I feel like you need to talk pretty regularly, or actually meet IRL.

Though an interesting tidbit about online relationships... especially ones started in a place like this: You end up sharing rather private details about yourself, and learning about other's personal quirks rather quickly. It's much easier to be yourself when such "secrets" are already revealed (like me being a size queen cock-mongler.) I am *much* more "myself" here, online, than I am IRL around unfamiliar company, where I'm much more reserved. Online interaction can give a solid glimpse at a person's true nature, but at the same time, screens make it easier to hide (granted, people can also be "fake" in person.)
    ...for the record, no one IRL knows I'm a size queen cock-mongler :p.

Sorry, slow reply, I'm doing very important work (diablo 3)

vahaala likes this.
  19. vahaala

vahaala Nobody wants him, he just stares at the world...

So much this. It's like you describe me lol (save for being size... king? :D)
    Yeah, over the Internet I was able to share a much stronger bond than with some people I've met IRL. Here, I can express myself freely and possibly get the same in return while IRL it would be kinda difficult to get around liking dragon dongs.

Wolfcat likes this.
  20. Icestar

Icestar Transformers!

There's a blance to it all. Myself, I actually feel better with friends online (aka you guys, and a few others) than irl. In 'real' relationships, I find things fade over the course of a couple years. One friend I thought I'd never lose has very well become a stranger. Keeping contact is easier, and with the whole I'm more myself thing. Put me with my to friends, I'm talking about games and pets and such, but with you guys I have no problem talking about my toys and using them ^^

People might be initially horrified of the sheer size of my newest addition X3 while here it's 'your collection is growing!'

Onto the initial thing that this all started: small things can very much set one off, and it's surprising at how tiny it can be. But it isn't something that can't be chased away in time, just need to let things work out themselves with a little poke from a stick :3

vahaala likes this.