1. NEW TRADE POLICIES COMING TO FORCE SOON: IMPORTANT READ!: READ HERE

How to hide a ceiling mirror?

Discussion in 'Help, Questions and How-To's' started by Caracal, Oct 20, 2014.

1. Caracal

Caracal Warm-blooded Cat Furniture

Sometime in the near future, I'd love to install a mirror or mirrored tiles on the bedroom ceiling, but I can't figure out how to do it such that it's not painfully obvious to guests what it's there for. Has anyone ever tried this? (No, I don't typically have guests tromping through my house, but I'm not keen on, say, my parents or my boss seeing that.)

2. Boargoth

Boargoth Hell no..

I'm not sure how well it would hold up upside-down on a ceiling. But as a kid I had my wall painted with magnetic paint and various stuff with magnets, including a long slice of mirror. I could rearrange/remove stuff as I pleased, and the mirror held up surprisingly well when I think about it now. (It had like 6 or 8 strong magnets spaced out over it)

Maybe its possible to do this on your ceiling. Although I'm not sure how well it would hold. Maybe with more smaller pieces instead of one large one.

3. Reptile

Reptile Semi-Professional Butthole Spelunker

That sounds like a setup for a scene in a horror movie I saw once lol

Chelseapolitan likes this.
  4. Caracal

Interesting, definitely something worth looking into! That's exactly the kind of suggestion I was hoping for, something out of the box that I haven't seen elsewhere online. In theory, I could either have a magnetic ceiling + magnetic mirror tiles (take them down when someone's over), or make the ceiling magnetic + a mirror, with non-mirror magnetic tiles to cover it (put them up when someone's over). More research required!

5. YogSothoth

YogSothoth Most definitely a vagina wielder

I was thinking more along the line of... as you put stuff on your ceiling, can;t you do something to make your bed more into a fourposter, with curtains and stuff? That makes your bed way cooler, and also obscures the mirror! But it's also a lot more work.

6. Caracal

Oo, I've always wanted one of those! But it always looked too expensive. I'm decently handy with VERY basic carpentry, though...that just might be do-able. (I've spent too many years decorating my living space in "appropriate"/easy ways; about damn time I started putting up stuff that makes us happy, even if it's more work!)

I posted the same question on the main BD forums, and got another suggestion. I'll post it here in case it's of help to anyone else: That-Guy suggested doing something artistic with light fixtures, like this: http://girlinthegarage.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Mirror-Ceiling-Medallion.jpg

(Also, if you're considering a mirrored ceiling, do plenty of research on safety: you don't want any risk of something heavy falling on you, but nor do you want a material so cheap that it looks more like a fun mirror. There are non-glass options available that are supposedly safer on the off-chance that they do break.)

7. Reptile

Reptile Semi-Professional Butthole Spelunker

Daaaaaamn that's fancy

8. DameKathryn

DameKathryn Well-Known Member

The best way I can think of is like a ceiling canopy of some sort, with hooks to take it off and on.

YogSothoth likes this.
  9. Caracal

Oo, pretty! You'd have to be vigilant about not leaving it up too often or it'll end up full of bugs XD But yeah, that would work! Thank you!