1. NEW TRADE POLICIES COMING TO FORCE SOON: IMPORTANT READ!: READ HERE

"I do not think that word means what you think it means."

Discussion in 'Debates' started by Willow, Sep 12, 2014.

1. Exeter

Exeter Cuddly, Snuggly, Slutty Dragon

My customers can't wrap their mouths around Asiago or Brioche either :p

2. Vael

Vael Active Member

I can help if one of you needs help for french, it's my native language.

pillbox likes this.
  3. Willow

Willow Slut and proud!

Well, I wouldn't say I'm a stickler... I just like to have the right pronunciation so I don't look like an idiot. If a person knows how the word is actually pronounced, they may think you don't know what you're talking about when it's incorrectly said. Might be less intersted in what you have to say.

Reptile likes this.
  4. Reptile

Reptile Semi-Professional Butthole Spelunker

Well, frankly, it sounds like a personal problem if they can't listen to what somebody is saying, instead of how they're saying it.

5. DameKathryn

DameKathryn Well-Known Member

Having worked at Wendy's for over a year, I can completely agree with this.
    Ah-shay-go
    Ay-see-ah-gee-oh
    & Ah-say-gee-oh

and
    Bro-chee
    Brash
    & Bree-oh-chay

Exeter likes this.
  6. Willow

Willow Slut and proud!

That would actually start to piss me off if I heard them say it wrong 50 times a day. I mean, sure a few times I can tolerate. And, I know, you're not supposed to correct them but after a while...
    This is why I am unemployed. Or at least, why I think I am.

DameKathryn likes this.
  7. RedVixenFur

RedVixenFur Spaintard

I think I'll stick to this thread since I find it truly interesting. And you can hit me, I'm one of these people that pronounces wrong a lot of things. But but but but, before you kill me in a miserable way, I don't even get to say let's say 4-5 sentences straight in my own language XDDDDD
    You'll probably hate me to death if I get to say "Green" in front of you. I will always end up saying it with the french r XDDD

8. Exeter

Still there??? I work at Wendy's right now (as you can probably tell.) The thing that kills me the most is people calling our stuff by the wrong name. We have a series of Mac's convenience stores in town (Canadian chain) and they sell "frosters" which are slushie drinks. Guess what people call frosties (frozen dairy product) every single day?

I correct them by repeating the order with the correct pronuniciation. I do the same with nuggets (not McNuggets), wraps (not snack wraps) and Singles (Not Quarter Pounders) -_- It's my way of fixing the problem without making them feel dumb for not knowing what restaurant they're at. It's bad enough they ask for curly fries, onion rings, sweet-potato fries, mozzarella sticks, hotdogs, and a variety of other non-Wendy's products. Eventually I realized it's just because people couldn't care less about fast food. Growing up, it was a treat for me, so I learned the difference between them, or I got yelled at by my dad to hurry up and decide. :p

DameKathryn likes this.
  9. DameKathryn

I had a feeling you might he talking about Wendy's :3
    I don't work there anymore. I was there December 2012 to May 2014. Now I have a career and I'm in a different city. Corporate Wendy's is actually in my state. My mom worked there for quite a few years until refently and it's how I got a job at a Wendy's in high school. So that was back in 2008. Blue
    Because the corporate is here, all sorts of promotional sandwiches are tried out all the time and nobody can ever pronounce the names when they're ordering. I got to the point where when I handed them their food I'd say "Here is your [correctly pronounced sandwich name]".
    I was mostly on drive-thru so I always turned off the mic and bad mouthed them while they were ordering.
    Also the number of people who wouldn't get something on their sandwich just because they never heard of it... Like the sandwiches with aioli sauce. So many people asked for bit off without trying it. I asked a current coworker who is an ex chef what aioli is and he said it's basically fancy mayo.
    *violent eye roll*
    And we got everyone calling everything McSomething. I got McChicken and McDouble a lot (for the crispy chicken and then double stack). McFlurry, McNuggets, etc. And I don't know if you gave Arby's but we got so many requests for their stuff. Curly fries, their stupidly named milkshakes. I actually had someone ask for a roast beef sandwich and was shocked to find out that was Arby's. Dear. God.

10. DameKathryn

Sorry for typos I'm on my phone

11. GuyStripes

GuyStripes An automatonic shark pirate

I don't know about misusing words.

I do know the term "slut" originally meant someone who couldn't keep their room clean.

And one that annoys me. "Bully" use to describe an upstanding person, or as a sign that the person was having a good time. Some family members are Rough Riders, and that's a common term they use in celebration. I don't know where or how it turned into a negative term, but to the people who made it that way: Fuck you.

12. Willow

Willow Slut and proud!

Bully for you, Stripes! Somebody listened in US history calls and knows about the Rough Riders. Theodore Roosevelt was notroious for saying "bully". Have no idea how it transitioned.

I use to work in McDonalds ages ago but people would often use wrong terminology. I mean everyone KNOWS super size... so why on earth would you say "king size" (Burger King). The reverse might make more sense f I was working at a Burger King, but honestly.
    I was too intellectual when they ask me about some hot sauce or a new spicy menu item.
    They ask "how hot is it?"
    If I was going to be an ass (I almost never was) that day I'd give them Scofield units, but most of the time:
    I would say, "That's a relative term."
    And they would invariaibly respond, "What does that mean."
    "What is hot for one person, may not be hot for another person." is what I would say if they would not cut me off mid-sentence.

The fact is I never ordered the spicy food, so I wouldn't even know.

MurphyAlter, Exeter and GuyStripes like this.
  13. GuyStripes

GuyStripes An automatonic shark pirate

I'll be honest, I didn't pay attention to US History. Physics and different math classes were my favorites, especially Aeronautical and Astronautical Science.

14. Exeter

I get a lot of biggie size requests, as well as people asking for the Big Bacon Classic. Ohhhhh welllll..... And people asking for the Baja salad.... my favourite are the people who ask for "The hamburger." I also get people asking for baked potatoes. I ask what kind of baked potato they want. They reply "baked." I stifle my screams and list off the six varieties of baked potatoes we offer. -_-

Again, for the average person, fast food simply isn't important enough to make distinctions. When you serve it 5 days a week however, the ignorance really grates on your nerves.

15. DameKathryn

Well biggie size, the big bacon classic, and the Baja salad all actually were Wendy's things.

Exeter likes this.
  16. bluedogkillr

bluedogkillr Better than a new member

Sorry to reboot an old thread. I did it on accident. Or did I do it by accident? It irritates me when people claim to do things "on" accident instead of "by" accident. I can't imagine someone tripping on an accident. It begs the question: what kind of accident they trip on.

Serathaiya and Exeter like this.
  17. Exeter

That's part of a class of errors of special annoyance. I like the "could of" type, where people hear words or a phrase, and don't actually know the proper words or spelling, but write it anyways. Like writing flaming onion instead of filet mignon.

18. MurphyAlter

MurphyAlter The Floofiest

I've noticed myself using the phrase "didn't used to" lately. I'd try to eliminate it, but I can't think of anything to substitute for it.

19. Exeter

Nothing wrong with it though, that's perfectly serviceable. Hell of a lot better then used't'could.

20. Dracoa

Dracoa Well-Known Member

For all you know they want a flaming onion. An actual onion set on fire. Who are you to judge?

RedVixenFur and Exeter like this.