1. NEW TRADE POLICIES COMING TO FORCE SOON: IMPORTANT READ!: READ HERE

Is it me? (TV shows and my brain)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Willow, Nov 14, 2015.

1. Willow

Willow Slut and proud!

I've mentioned it before, briefly and indirectly: I have myotonic muscular dystrophy. I don't often mention it because the very last thing I want to do is look like I want pity. And I don't, trust me.
    But you see, this doesn't just effect my muscles, it has some effect on my brain. And I've noticed a few changes it my personality and cognitive functions. Like spelling. I use to be fucking awesome speller, but now I can barely get through one sentence without forgetting how to spell a word. Cognitive? That took me 3 tries.
    Anyway... my point of this post. I don't get TV shows anymore. I mean I can't follow many of them anymore. I was an avid TV watcher in my teens and early 20's. I watched EVERYTHING. Xena, Hercules, Buffy, Angel, Simpsons, Futurama, Heroes, Eureka, every goddamn sitcom (Seinfeld and everything before that- everything after that pretty much blows). And looking back, yeah, it was simple to understand.
    But now I can't understand a damn thing. I was excited for the new shows back in september/October. Heroes Reborn, American Horror Story (AHS) Season 4, Minority Report (saw one spisode thought it sucked), Limitless (on the fence), Once Upon a Time season... I can't fucking remember.

...I can't follow some of them. Ok, limitless, that's easy. Mostly one-off's. I really started to notice it with Marvels Agents of Shield Season 2. I didn't like the season 1 for various reason... one of them being because Ward looked like he belonged in a toothpaste commercial, he didn't have the look. And I couldn't tell which one was Fitz and which one was Simmons. All that aside, I tried to get into it. Every single fucked episode of season 2 made me more and more confused. I couldn't tell you one damn thing that happened. But hey, I tried to get into season 3... nope, I got nothing. AND it's BORING as fucking hell!
    Moving onto to something more surprising. I actually didn't understand the hate people had for Heroes (the first one) sure Volumes 4 and 5 were less than steller. But Iw as really excited to see it comes back. I got my Dr. Pepper (made with real sugar) and my cheddar bacon potato skins ready and... wait? What. Stop, what's gong on. Wait who's this guy? Where are the going! No, no, stop, wait, STOP!
    ...I can't follow this show AT ALL. I don't know what is going on anymore... and there's no minute to stop and think what is going on. Too many characters all over the place.
    Same thing with AHS season 4. I thought it was going to be awesome. Interesting people all in a hotel interacting with Lady Gaga as the monster. But... I stop watching. Instead of interesting or strange characters interacting throughout the hotel, it's mostly different stories that never intersect. Or barely. I could follow it.
    Don't get me started with Once Upon a Time. There are too many timelines and erasing memories for me to keep track of all of it.

So is it just me that's having a problem? Or is it my watching shows on Netflix daily instead of weekly (so it stays fresh in my mind)? Or am I slowly going insane?

I know this post was a little disjointed, kinda jumps around and sidetracks... I might have to edit it later. I felt I needed to get this off my chest.

2. GuyStripes

GuyStripes An automatonic shark pirate

I think I understand where you're coming from.

If its any similar to me, my brain likes to overanalyze every small detail in any television show or movie I watch, and if I pick up on a reference to something, then my brain tries to compare what I'm currently watching with what the show referenced and comes up with certain scenarios of what might happen further on in the episode or series. If any of that made sense.

It could be that and the combination of there just being so much going on that you get somewhat overloaded and just need a few seconds to get everything in order.

3. Willow

Willow Slut and proud!

I don't over analyze every detail... but sometimes something sticks out in my head and I fixate on it too long. And I spaced out and missed something while I was thinking of it.
    I also think my memory or attention span is affected.

4. Dracoa

Dracoa Well-Known Member

Agents of SHIELD is pretty easy for me to follow. There is going to be a lot of (slow) build up to the Inhumans movie that comes out in like 2018. They aren't going to give all the answers, wrapped up with a bow, in a single episodes. That's just not how the show works. There's a long story arc going on. A few actually, but the main one is for the season. I'd say the second biggest one is the Inhumans storyline, since that is the build up to a movie. Third one this season would be the Simmons (the female part of Fitz-Simmons) dealing with her experiences in the other... place she was.

5. Willow

Willow Slut and proud!

Yeah, I eventually figured out which one was which, when they weren't tied together at the hip for every scene.
    This is also happening for some movies. I understood Inception years ago but got lost in Avengers: Age of Ultron. Actually I kinda fond myself falling asleep a couple of times... during the ACTION parts. Didn't care for their interpertion of Quicksilver.

I get season-long story arcs. A lot of shows do that now. Been doing that for quite some time. Hell DS9 was pretty much a series-long arc. Mostly. I almost wanted to name my cat Dax.
    ...attention span of a goldfish.