1. NEW TRADE POLICIES COMING TO FORCE SOON: IMPORTANT READ!: READ HERE

Menstrual cups

Discussion in 'Help, Questions and How-To's' started by Snærhjarta, Aug 11, 2014.

1. Misskin

Misskin http://www.furaffinity.net/user/misskin/

loool that's the spirit, in fact I wrote a very thorough run down of my first period with a cup on the old forum, i'll go get it right now and put it here

2. DameKathryn

DameKathryn Well-Known Member

That would be appreciated :)

3. DameKathryn

NOTE: Officially moved to the help/how-to section.

4. Ajax

Ajax Guest

The Diva cup is also nicely shaped and comfortable if used correctly. I do think that the Sckoon looks nice though. I guess it's up to you! xD

5. Misskin

I pulled my first experience with my Sckoon cup from the old land

Verdict: Effin' love it

I will never buy pads again EVER. I highly recommend this cup because (1) it doesn't wreak chemical havoc in your pink palace like tampons do (2) doesn't cause odors or give you diaper butt like pads do (3) generates zero trash and is body safe

But ive got some tips for potential buyers:

¤ Get size 2. Unless you're very tiny on the inside
    ¤ Don't throw away the box. it's much better to put your cup back into it than to use the free cloth pouch they send along with it.
    ¤ Boil it at least once before use.They are medical grade silicone but probably not exactly like BD toys so keep it moving in the pot
    ¤ Practice inserting and removing it before the real thing. you'll know you've done it right when you can barely tell its there.
    ¤ Always wash your cup with soap and water before insertion. Same for your hands.
    ¤ Avoid inserting or removing on the go. If you're gonna mess up you want to be at home lol
    ¤ Until you become flawless at insertion/removal, baby/bathroom wipes are a must. Use these to clean your finger tips and vulva
    ¤ Before emptying your cup into the toilet, lay down a bit of toilet paper to reduce splash
    ¤ Lubing up the rim of the cup makes insertion a lot easier
    ¤ Empty your cup 20 minutes after you wake up in the morning just to be sure gravity has done its job lol

Khthonya likes this.
  6. DameKathryn

@Misskin I just pulled that post over here from the tabletop thread. I assume you didn't want it there >_>

7. Misskin

yea that was a major Tab mishap on my part lol, apologies

8. DameKathryn

No biggie! lol. I was interested to see if you had anything to say about my MTG deck and all of a sudden... menstrual cup. But I just swooped it over here.

See, I had figured that I'd do better with a larger cup, as a size-queen, but then I wasn't sure because even though I've stretched my vag, I haven't stretched my cervix? So I dunno. Buying either makes me nervous, which is why I haven't, for the reason of being a size-queen.

9. Misskin

oh well shucks gal, even the size 2 cup (I have) is still smaller in circumference than a small clayton.
    You wouldn't have to worry about it falling out or getting lost in there lol

DameKathryn likes this.
  10. Ajax

Ajax Guest

I'd go with a 2 then, for the reason you mentioned. ^^ There's no way either size could be too big, really.

DameKathryn likes this.
  11. Sheyla

Sheyla Active Member

I like the design of the sckoon cup. I think I'll look into getting one of those at some point. the print on the diva cup does make it slightly more of a bother to clean and teh bell shape looks like it would work well.

12. Misskin

Owch, print sucks.
    The bell shape is nice but my favorite part of the design has to be the little ridges on the underside, they really make it easier to grip the cup

13. Snærhjarta

Snærhjarta Well-Known Member

I have the MeLuna. I only tried it twice before my period started but now hat I know it has properly unfolded every time, I don't think that's going to be a problem. I don't like the way the sckoon looks but that is personal.
    My meluna is one of the smaller cups but can take 28 ml

14. Misskin

Ooo the Meluna cups are gorgeous, plenty of options too in firmness, size and stem type but im a lil wary about the material they use.

TPE (thermoplastic elastomer), it says right on their site that it breaks down in sunlight x_x (UV rays) though a cup would have no business being outside in the first place

15. Keely

Keely The Happy Helpful Husky

yay more sckoon cup users!!! I used to have a diva cup and while it worked ok it leaked more often since it was more inflexible and it made my vagina sore towards the end of my period because of the stiff lip of the cup :/ now I will say that a stiff lip makes the cup easier to unfold inside of you but I'd rather a hand covered in blood from manually opening a cup than sore vag.

Some other sckoon vs diva cup pros.
    - The sckoon's stem is solid and more flexible so you don't have to try and clean the stem out with a toothpick.
    - The vent hole things on the sckoon are bigger so they are more easily cleaned
    - The stiffness + shape of the diva cup made it so I was always peripherally aware of it, like a tampon, I actually have to set myself reminders to change my cup on my light days or I can literally forget that it's inside me.
    - the diva cup had printing on the inside of the cup that made it hard to clean, sckoon doesn't
    - the sckoon cup has some texturing on the bottom that really help with removing the cup

I'm also seriously considering getting or making some cloth pads because I'm maybe 1 or 2 periods away from running out of my disposable pads and it'd be cool to not need anything disposable (except for when traveling or spending all day out somewhere) but I'm worried about how easy they are to keep clean and stuff, anybody have any experience with them?

Also: they sell little alcohol wipes that you can use to clean the cup when you're out and about :3 I also highly recommend toting baby wipes with you to make sure there isn't blood left on your hands or vulva after changing the cup. (they sell travel packs that are conveniently purse sized or you can get a travel case and buy larger bags of them and just re-fill the case which is more cost effective in the long run)

16. Snærhjarta

Yeah, that's why I love it. I ordered the black one because black <3
    Someone got a list of what the MeLuna is made of and it is the same sort of plastic that is used in everything from heart valve replacement surgery to baby bottle nipples to hospital oxygen masks, so it's completely safe as well.

I got mine with a beautiful deep purple pouch and I take it with me all the time so it's never in direct sunlight. It should be perfectly fine if you keep it in a pouch.

17. Snærhjarta

Oh my god. I just emptied it and it's awesome.

ObeyTheSnarf and Khthonya like this.
  18. Khthonya

Khthonya Active Member

I'm going to be buying a Moon Cup from GladRags in a week or two. I've been thinking of getting one for a while, and after what happened last time with pads? Yeahh... not doing that again.

ObeyTheSnarf likes this.
  19. Ajax

Ajax Guest

I wanted a Moon Cup just because of it's name. xD I call my period my werewolf week, since it falls around the full moon and blood is involved, etc. Plus I like to pretend I've got something in common with werewolves. xD

ObeyTheSnarf, Khthonya, Keely and 2 others like this.
  20. Kaguya

Kaguya New Member

I started using a Diva cup a few months ago and it's been wonderful. I was never really able to use tampons as they always hurt too much. For the longest time I though I was just really small internally, but after quite a few adventures with toys, I realized how obviously not true that was. For years I went with pads, but given how heavy my period could get, those were a pain in their own way (DIAPER RASH. I GOT DIAPER RASH FROM A PAD).

Since switching, while I still get cramps from hell, my life doesn't feel like such a wreck during my period

Sheyla likes this.