1. NEW TRADE POLICIES COMING TO FORCE SOON: IMPORTANT READ!: READ HERE

Monogamy in today's culture.

Discussion in 'Help, Questions and How-To's' started by Vitani, Sep 22, 2015.

1. SnowLycan

SnowLycan ☆*:.。.Mahou shoujo.。.:*☆

What does it mean then if you can't love something? If there is a definition of someone that can love nearly everything

2. Kittycat1356

Kittycat1356 Active Member

Well, love is an emotional attachment. I love lots of stupid little things, And although I don't know if there is a name or word for it, I know that alot of people don't make emotional attachments to people or other things. It's usually based off of things that happened in your life that cause people to be the way they are though. ^^~ I think it would be in some kind of branch off of asexual

SnowLycan likes this.
  3. Bluehorizon10

Bluehorizon10 Well-Known Member

I wasn't aiming to sting with my comment haha. It sounds like you are practiced.

4. Rassandra Gendal

Rassandra Gendal Well-Known Member

Practiced in relationships? Unfortunately I don't think I am. I just don't get upset too easily anymore over a lot of things I see others blow up about.

5. Bluehorizon10

Made a remix of bonetrousle from Undertale and am introducing it live on SL tonight! 12Am pacific!

6. Rassandra Gendal

Rassandra Gendal Well-Known Member

....off topic much? xP

7. Bluehorizon10

gah! wrong thread! So sorry!

Exeter likes this.
  8. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Siloxane Sweetheart

There's a lot of complexity and confusion to relationships. Here's a handy chart:
    [​IMG]
    Personally, I'm in a poly/open relationship with a transman and an older guy. I love them both very much, and we've been living together for over five years. Of note, they are both in a relationship with me and not each other. The FtM is Ace due to medical complications and the older guy is more old fashioned, so while I encourage them both following their hearts desires, they're both effectively monogamous. Me? I've got a runaway sex drive, and don't have any compunctions about age/gender/status/race so I like to date around.

My partners are happy for me, and in the few occasions they find someone they want to fool around with or smooch on, I'm happy for them. We aren't jealous people, and tend to feel an anti-jealous (good for you!) feeling the poly community has dubbed compersion.

On the chart, we have the highest potential to evolve into "This is my wife, her boyfriend, my boyfriend, and our girlfriend. Her husband will be joining us later"

That said, I don't try to change people that are monogamous. I'll educate, sure, but I think there's something more physiological than cultural going on in humans that decide whether or not they're an ideal candidate for non-monogamy. For example, in primates, there's a variety of different mating and social structures. Some primates are very peaceful, casually bisexual, and seem to solve everything with sex and general benevolence. Other primates are aggressive and hoard women.

Of note among these different types of primates are the penises. The heads of poly primates are very bulbous and horse-like, Ideal for pumping out and replacing the residue of prior suitors when they're running a train on someone. Monogamous primates on the other hand lack the selective pressure to get larger and more defined shapes, so they all tend to have small, tapered penises and negligible sexual stamina ideal for hit-and-run tactics while the alpha isn't looking. Humans are somewhat in between, though fortunately most of our penises trend a little larger.

Another factor that corroborates with poly-penis theory is prostate specific antigen. In all primates PSA amounts decide how long semen stays gloopy before it gets all runny. In poly primates, PSA levels are highly elevated compared to humans, which leads to semen making a very hard to dislodge plug of goo over the cervix. If the goo can outlast the duration of the next suitors intercourse, it stands a decent chance of liquefying, allowing the spermatozoa mobility, and potentially fertilizing an egg. Monogamous primates, on the other hand, have almost no PSA due to their squirt and run tactics, so their sperm are immediately motile.

Humans are somewhere in between, and somewhat variable. To my knowledge nobody has tried to survey true poly/open relationships for PSA levels and penis morphology, but I suspect the genes for the relevant penis traits are located near the AR locus, there may be something there that also affects which types of relationships will be most natural to a particular person.

Sorry if this was a bit dick-centric, but there aren't many people willing to vaginally probe an ape for this particular kind of science.