1. NEW TRADE POLICIES COMING TO FORCE SOON: IMPORTANT READ!: READ HERE

Possible scammer, where to post

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Azcouple2005, May 14, 2018.

1. Azcouple2005

Azcouple2005 Member

If this is not the correct place to post, can you point me to it?

Pretty sure I got scammed. Sold a medium David and a gold and black large Scorn, got paid and sent the items to Wisconsin. Turns out the PayPal payment didn't come from the person in Wisconsin, but from an Australia address. The PayPal person has started the dispute process. I have no idea if the two are doing this in concert or not.

I sent a pm to the person I sold it to but they already listed the Scorn for sale here.

Edited to add: once I saw they used PayPal protection for the payment my scammer alert went away and I shipped to the address in PM. Didn't even check the PayPal payment address to compare the two. This will probably cost me the $160.

Edit 2: looks like the buyer removed the Scorn from sale without responding to my pms, will give it a few days before posting scammer contact info.

Last edited: May 14, 2018
  2. HazetheFox

HazetheFox Fox butts Staff Member

So did the buyer give you the Wisconsin address first in pm then the payment address you got in PayPal was a Australian address after you made the transaction in PayPal?

3. lizardbreath

lizardbreath Well-Known Member

Ahhhhhhhhhhh.....
    Yeah

I think i know the wisconsin address in question

4. lizardbreath

lizardbreath Well-Known Member

there's an indiana address too
    not NECESSARILY the same person

5. Azcouple2005

Azcouple2005 Member

Haze, the PayPal got sent, and got the PM immediately here that it was sent. Then another PM saying to ship to a specific address.

Since the two (paypal received and pm saying it was sent) were so close together, and the PayPal payment used paypal protection, it imediately made me think it was legit. I didn't check the PayPal shipping address, I should have verified it was the same.

Looking at the Wisconsin buyer account, it was created April of this year, that should have been enough to make me more cautious. I didn't follow my normal rules for selling online that I follow on my other hobby forums, my first being get a cell # and talk to the buyer/seller. The nature of the stuff sold made me skip that rule.

The PayPal dispute report said the buyer was in touch with the seller who would ship it to Australia. Other than the payment, I never contacted this Australia buyer.

Still no response from buyer in Wisconsin who got the items, USPS confirmed and confirmed again by posting the large Scorn they got for sale (since taken down).

Still not sure if they were working together to scam me or the Wisconsin buyer sold stuff to the person in Australia and scammed us both.

I think the only thing that can save me is I have USPS proof and I put in the tracking number into PayPal as soon as I got it. I have heard of eBay sellers complaining about buyers claiming item not received and because they didn't use tracking and input info into Paypal, PayPal was siding with the buyer.

6. Bun

Bun Glow Goddess

If theres a dispute open, maybe show here that you were told to charge that paypal user and also told to send the product to a different address?

7. Feverdream

Feverdream Well-Known Member

Definitely file a complaint with Paypal. Paypal accounts are linked to bank accounts. If this person's name is repeatedly involved with fraud, they will be permanently blocked from having a Paypal account. This is also a felony, I think... mail fraud which crosses state lines. Take this seriously, take action with Paypal. If they require a description of the item (they probably do not) you can tell them it's a "silicone sculpture" the same way Bad Dragon describes it.