1. NEW TRADE POLICIES COMING TO FORCE SOON: IMPORTANT READ!: READ HERE

Retro Gamers

Discussion in 'Fandom Stuff' started by Willow, Aug 6, 2014.

1. Willow

Willow Slut and proud!

You know, I'm out of the loop when it comes to games. I don't get these new-fatangeld games and your rap music and you're MTV! *shakes cane*
    What I mean, is that I find myself lost when I see "game discussion" and I hear Bioshock, Gear of War, Skyrim... all these big names. I've never played any of them and can't really talk about games... which is what I like to do.
    A little background. It's a long read, you can skip it if you want.
    I had an Atari. Yeah, that far back. The 2600. OMG, I've got grey hair! No, I don't. I wouldn't have called myself a hardcore gamer back than. We had 31 variations of pong (all on 1 cartridge) and blackjack. At least that's all that I remember. But I didn't sit in front of the system all day... it was a occasional distraction.
    My real gaming days came from being babysat. 2 thing entered my life: The NES and The Princess Bride. Next Christmas guess what was sitting under the tree? The NES... but no VHS copy of The Princess Bride. I played all the classics: Mario, Zelda, Megaman, Castlevania. I was the most popular kid on the block because I was the first one to get it. And my collection grew.
    SNES days. In my mind, this was the Golden Age of videogames. After all, this was and I think still is my favorite system. My tastes refined, my eye more dicriminating but I had a vast number of titles. More games than I had for NES. Once again I was the most popular kid on the block.
    N64: It was a great front runner for the 3d generation. It also shot itself in the front with Sony (although I believe that was back during SNES and the thought that disc drives were the way to go). Yeah Sony really became the new contender and was far more adavanced. I still had quite a number of games for this system.
    Gamecube: To be honest, this was the first system I bought with my own money (instead of a gift). I got a used black one... wasn't found of the original purple color. I can't remember if I had a lot of games (comparable to the SNES) but I had nice collection. Some pretty good games.
    Wii. This was the downfall. The Wii was great, that's not the problem. The problem was me.
    I was living with my girlfriend, and she convinced me not to get the system. So we broke up. LOL. No, I didn't get the system and we broke up for a different reason. Shortly after I tried to get the sytem. Sold out. Sold out. Sold out. So I didn't get it until a year and half later of it's debut. And I bought 3 games (+ Wii sports). And started playing them. WTF? This does not feel like Zelda! What is this Mario crap? Power stars... am I in kindergarden? Mario Kart... well, I miss some of the tracks but it stayed true to form. In reality they were ALL true to form but something in me had changed... was I not into videogames anymore?
    No, I couldn't- I WOULDN'T accept that. They were my lifeblood! It's who I identified myself as! I continued to buy games (albeit my slowly and fewer) and most of them I couldn't get into deeply. And it did not matter what genre... they weren't holding my attention for too long. And they don't FEEL the same to me.
    Aside. I absolutely cannot play Skyward Sword. Yeah, they added some interesting features and nee villain but... 2 main things. The fatigue meter! There is no reason for this. Adding in a bit a realism and slightly more difficulty is fine. But mostly I just find it boring to have to wait for it to fill back up. When I look back on Zelda: LttP I ran EVERYWHERE with the Pegasus boots. Didn't matter if it was 20 "feet", 5 feet or 1 foot. All the freaking time! This fatique meter just stops me from continuing on my mission.
    And the horrendous item selectiion screen. This... this is just... no. The worst one I can ever recall. Ever

So where does that leave me? A small casual gamer I suppose. Modest collection. I haven't bought the Wii U, but I plan to get it in 3 years or so when the price has come down and the games current games are slightly cheaper. But what I am is an old school gamer. I still love my SNES games, earthbound, SMRPG, Mario World, LoZ: Lttp, Megaman X... the good ol' boys. And the N64, I still love them too! In fact I bought 2 old games from Amazon. Also downloaded Chrono Trigger from the virtual console. Reliving my glory days.

So that's where you can't get me to shut up. Start talking about games of old and even video game legacies. Even though I was a youngin'... before I was gamer, I can tell you about the video game crash of '83. The birth of the thrid-party developers. The Sword Quest game contests... and the mysterious disappearance of the last prizes.
    This is what I can talk about. What I like to talk about. That's all I can say about that.

...video games are like a box of chocolates. You never sure when you're gonna get coconut.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
  2. Kukaru

Kukaru Guest

Well the first game I ever played (Well at lest remember playing) was Sonic the Hedgehog for the Sega mega drive (Genesis for you US people) and I really just never stopped loving video games.
    I still have all my old consoles from when I was a kid and even got the ones I didn't have as a kid.

3. Willow

Willow Slut and proud!

Obviously the first Nintendo game I played was Super Mario Bros that came bundled with the machine. I didn't really like the game though. At first I did play it, but once I had other game I kinda abandoned it. I much more perfered SMB2 and, of course, SMB3.

4. Dracoa

Dracoa Well-Known Member

I never actually beat Super Mario Bros.

5. Willow

Willow Slut and proud!

Don't feel so bad. I considered myself a hardcore gamer in the past. I would always find every treasure, every secret, did things the game did not anticipate, 100% completion. But there are some games I never could beat. But as I got older more and more games were either not finished or did put it all the effort as before.

6. SnowLycan

SnowLycan ☆*:.。.Mahou shoujo.。.:*☆

First ever games I remember playing where the original Alex kidd and psycho fox.

7. Ajax

Ajax Guest

I used to play the old Nintendos mostly. Duck Hunt, Super Mario, etc. I especially loved Yoshi Island.
    As for N64 goes, I loved and still love LoZ: Ocarina of Time.
    I just wish i could figure out where my console went. D:

8. Willow

Willow Slut and proud!

Yup, Ocarina of Time is one of the all time classics. I also enjoyed Majora's Mask, it was different but still a lot of fun. There was something special about people actually having lives outside of revolving around you, but can still be affected by your actions. They don't stay in one place for the duration of the game. I guess that was the kind of realism I like (newer games can take that to insane lengths as I hear).

9. Ajax

Ajax Guest

After I read the "Ben" creepypasta I've never been able to play Majora's Mask again. D: I didn't like it much so it wasn't that big of an issue but gosh that story fucked me up.

10. Willow

Willow Slut and proud!

I read that but there were too many things that made it less "real" for me. Takes away from the story.

11. Ajax

Ajax Guest

Well, it's obviously not real. xD But the videos freaked me the hell out.

12. Kukaru

Kukaru Guest

Talking of N64, Pokémon Stadium and Pokémon Snap was my two fave games for it.

13. Willow

Willow Slut and proud!

Well, I didn't mean to imply that anyone thought it was real. But the story just had too many elements that kinda make it feel, I don't how to phrase it. I couldn't get wrapped up in the story. Videos were interesting... maybe I'm desensitized to such things.

14. Willow

Willow Slut and proud!

Pokemon Snap was kinda interesting. It was the first game I downloaded from the VC. Something different and fun. And I don't even care much about pokemon!

15. Dracoa

Dracoa Well-Known Member

Can't wait to get income so I can get a GC USB Converter/Adapter for the controller so I can properly play Dolphin (GC/Wii Emulator).

16. Kukaru

Kukaru Guest

I was a really big Pokémon fan, my N64 was the Pikachu one. I still have it.
    [​IMG]

Ajax likes this.
  17. SnowLycan

SnowLycan ☆*:.。.Mahou shoujo.。.:*☆

So awesome dude! You managed to get one of those. I really wanted one of those but with the money I was earning at the time when I was little doing errands could never cover the cost of that console.

In my family you weren't given money unless you worked for it and if you wanted something you had to earn the money to buy it. So all the games I got where more enjoyable that way to me because all my hard work paid off.

18. Willow

Willow Slut and proud!

I remember there were a few Pokemon themed consoles... is that one of the more rare ones?

Right now I'm playing Crusi'n World which I ordered on Amazon. I had it before and accualte accumulated 9999 points to get the Speed Demon... now I have to start all over. So far 1000 points. I'm not a good racer.