1. NEW TRADE POLICIES COMING TO FORCE SOON: IMPORTANT READ!: READ HERE

Sharp objects tread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Vael, Sep 18, 2014.

1. scalie

scalie back pokin' snake

SHEATH AND FINAL FINISHING
    I did not take pictures of the sheath making process, it takes time but is relatively simple. once your sheath is done you'll need something to finish and condition your leather with. instead of buying a conditioner I chose to make one. I melted equal parts beeswax and mineral oil in a double boiler and added a few drops of 95% isopropyl alcohol to help it degrease and penetrate into the leather (found the recipe online) many people add a few drops of lemon oil to act as a furthr preservative but I didn't have any. it will form a waxy paste that is actually a great skin salve. you can see the sheath before and after applying the finish. to apply, heat the leather with a hairdryer or low heat gun (don't burn it!) and then massage in the finish. buff out with a rag you don't mind getting oily/waxy and burnish the edges. I completed the optional dangler for the heath after the initial pictures were taken. it is a similar process but much easier since there is no stitching required. I included a picture of the spine so you can see the pattern in the micarta from the layers of canvas and you can kind of see the pattern in the fiberglass liner material from the layers of glass cloth
    CIMG1162.JPG CIMG1165.JPG CIMG1166.JPG CIMG1167.JPG CIMG1168.JPG CIMG1170.JPG CIMG1171.JPG CIMG1174.JPG CIMG1175.JPG CIMG1176.JPG

Serathaiya likes this.
  2. scalie

scalie back pokin' snake

just ordered some more stuff for another project. I'll give you a hint, I'm gonna make something similar to this
    1956_1_.jpg

3. scalie

scalie back pokin' snake

got it finished
    CIMG1193.JPG CIMG1194.JPG CIMG1195.JPG CIMG1198.JPG CIMG1199.JPG
    also bees

CIMG1196.JPG CIMG1197.JPG