1. NEW TRADE POLICIES COMING TO FORCE SOON: IMPORTANT READ!: READ HERE

The Weight Loss and Diet Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dr. Tran, Aug 6, 2014.

1. Reptile

Reptile Semi-Professional Butthole Spelunker

buddy, I've seen you.

2. Snærhjarta

Snærhjarta Well-Known Member

I'm at 87.8 right now, meaning I lost 13.8 kg total. :D

Wolfcat likes this.
  3. Wolfcat

Wolfcat Well-Known Member

Nice! That's really great progress.

4. MurphyAlter

MurphyAlter The Floofiest

Eugh... I think I've got back flaps now...

5. Misskin

Misskin http://www.furaffinity.net/user/misskin/

join the club ; o ;

6. Misskin

Dang, I haven't posted anything here in a while (prolly because I haven't made any visible progress)
    But I've made some recent changes to my workout routine, habits, and diet.

- At the gym i've swapped out machines for the free weight versions. The theory is that machine exercises take away the use of your balance and guiding muscles so you're not getting the full benefit (Example: see how much weight you can squat with and without a Smithson machine). An extra perk is that I get through my routines quickly even on a crowded day because I don't have to wait around for the machines to be free. I've also taken to doing "compound" exercises, types that focus on using a wider range of muscles rather than trying to isolate just one (doing it that way supposedly gives you a more balanced physique)

- At night, I brush my teeth with baking soda before bed rather than toothpaste. The mint in toothpaste apparently stimulates alertness and makes it harder to sleep, as does light, so I've stopped playing on my phone or watching tv after getting into bed. I also grab a small snack before I snooze (a piece of fruit, toast, etc) and try to get a solid 8 hours sleep, but whether I get 8 or not I still grab a 45 minute nap somewhere during the day when I can.

-I've tried everything I can think of as far as dieting goes (excluding As Seen On TV stuff) but nothing has clicked so far. I've tried eating more of this, less of that, adding this, taking away that, but nothing has been working, so I've decided to completely revamp my diet. I'm going VegePaleonarian (totally made up word, don't even google it lol). I'm giving up all meat except ocean based seafood (salmon, shrimp, squid etc) and only consuming whole wheats, whole grains, fruits, veggies, specific types of beans, cheeses (but oddly no regular milk lol never liked it anyway unless with cookies). Of course no junk food and all primarily home cooked meals.

Lets see what happens

Wolfcat likes this.
  7. MurphyAlter

Sounds like generally good stuff. I will warn you though, that regularly brushing with baking soda can cause wear on your teeth, and make them more susceptible to staining and damage in the future. You'd be better off getting a super bland toothpaste for evening brushes.

8. Misskin

oh! good looking out ringtail :3

9. MurphyAlter

:D

10. Exeter

Exeter Cuddly, Snuggly, Slutty Dragon

Your sleep requirements aren't necessarily 8 hours. That need is a bit of a myth, you should sleep according to how tired you are and how much activity you'll have during the day. I run on 4-5 hours and have plenty of energy. You might not need as much as you think :)

11. MurphyAlter

Basically, you need to get between 6 and 9 hours of sleep, or it will negatively affect your health over the long term.

12. Misskin

@MurphyAlter @Exeter
    I know folks vary, but I feel my best when I allow myself 8 hours. what usually happens is I wake up on my own at a variable time before my alarm goes off, that's when I feel most rested. If I get woken up by an external stimuli it makes me feel awful.

13. Wolfcat

There's so much contention around the sleep thing I don't know what to believe. I typically run on 4-5 hrs on work nights, and sleep for 7-8 on weekends. I feel "fine" on the 4-5, but much prefer the 7-8. Especially the 7-8 mornings...

I'd let your body gauge things. If you go to sleep and wake naturally after 5 (i.e, nothing wakes you up) and you feel refreshed, then that might be all you need.

MurphyAlter likes this.
  14. GuyStripes

GuyStripes An automatonic shark pirate

Now that it's going into the winter months, instead of hibernating, I'm going to use the time of dark coldness to get myself back in shape. Below are my "Day 1" pictures, I'll be posting updates as I change workout routines.

I'm doing a series of superhero/video game/television themed workouts.

http://geekologie.com/2014/04/a-ton-of-superheromovievideo-game-themed.php

Attached Files:

Grimmyr and Exeter like this.
  15. MurphyAlter

Your Day 1 looks better than my Day 1000 would.

Chelseapolitan likes this.
  16. Exeter

Exeter Cuddly, Snuggly, Slutty Dragon

I like what I see o_o and can't wait to see what I see down the road!

17. GuyStripes

GuyStripes An automatonic shark pirate

Thank you gents. The lighting and the potato quality face camera on iPhones don't really show it well, but I'm pretty flat. I'm fine weight wise, I just need to put on some muscle, and tone the what I have.

18. Wolfcat

Articles from breaking muscle tend to be solid. At least articles explaining simpler things like proper form.
    pushups
    pullups
    Plank
    Squat video
    lunge
    There's generally a lot of info in these articles, but they also have the basics you need to get started. Some even have progression exercises if you can't do certain movements yet.

Nidhogg and YogSothoth like this.
  19. Poster Nutbag

Poster Nutbag Prefers the company of snakes over bees

Ok, getting into health kick mode!

Though I've usually been really lazy getting home from work, I felt motivated yesterday. Got some logistics stuff done in the kitchen, did some grocery shopping, and made some healthy lunches for myself and @Exeter !

I've got the majority of the supplements I need, but just have to go grab a tub of whey protein (easiest supplement to find).

I'll probably head back to my gym on Monday to renew my membership, and get started on a routine. My schedule is slightly different this year, but I'd like to once again go before and after work.

It's going to be a lot of work, but I'm feeling super motivated! Can't wait to get this thing in full swing.

Exeter, Nidhogg and GuyStripes like this.
  20. Nidhogg

Nidhogg Active Member

One of the hardest things is making exercise a habit. Try to find a time that suits you. I prefer exercising in the evening.

MurphyAlter likes this.