1. NEW TRADE POLICIES COMING TO FORCE SOON: IMPORTANT READ!: READ HERE

The Weight Loss and Diet Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dr. Tran, Aug 6, 2014.

1. Wolfcat

Wolfcat Well-Known Member

I has an idea!
    Exercise with Exeter :3.

If you don't think you can keep up with the gym, you could always stick to body-weight workouts like me.

2. Poster Nutbag

Poster Nutbag Prefers the company of snakes over bees

I would absolutely love to go to the gym with @Exeter as much as possible, but my 7:30-4:00 job and his 12:30-9:00 job make that difficult. We certainly will as much as we can :)

And yeah, I'll likely muster some dumbells and such as well as get an area set up for body weight excersizes. I do just love the gym that I'll go to though, it's a really nice environment, and I find it helps me stay motivated.

Wolfcat likes this.
  3. MurphyAlter

MurphyAlter The Floofiest

This. My exercise time is very early morning.

Thing is, I have no way or place to exercise around that time, and with my new work schedule, the only time I'll be awake around then is if I just finished working the overnight shift...

4. Misskin

Misskin http://www.furaffinity.net/user/misskin/

*puts on her tinfoil conspiracy theorist hat*
    The rich spend their money on personal trainers and extreme sports to stay fit while they make sure the average joe gets long hours at soul sucking desk jobs to take away your personal time, energy and drive, then they pay you just enough to get by so you can only afford crappy food that doesn't fulfill your nutritional needs and end up becoming a complacent physically and mentally unfit zombie that's perfect to control in politics, finance, or whatever they need to drain from you with the added bonus of you acquiring so many health related illnesses you have to give them more money to stay alive.
    *takes the tinfoil hat off and puts it on a shelf*

No idea if any of that is true, but it sounds like it makes sense

BorisLover likes this.
  5. Wolfcat

You may be right about some of that. Crappy food being cheaper is an unfortunate fact. I really hope we can mass-produce cheaper fruits and vegetables in the future. However this link gives me some hope.

The state of the working class is another frustrating can of worms entirely.

MurphyAlter likes this.
  6. Poster Nutbag

Ive always found, at least for the way I eat, that healthy eating is cheaper, but way less convenient. As long as you're cooking your own stuff and eating reasonable proportions, it should be pretty damn cheap.

7. Misskin

Preaaach.
    I've been doing so much cooking lately and it makes me feel really empowered.
    Every recipe has come out so tasty and keeps me fuller longer than my previous diet

Poster Nutbag likes this.
  8. Wolfcat

I buy frozen vegetables in bulk, discounted fruits, oatmeal, and eggs. That's all pretty cheap, but I also like getting cheeses, and meat, which is more expensive. Some unhealthy things are more expensive, for sure, but most prepackaged items made with white flour, HFCS, seed oils, and added sugars tend to be rather cheap (1 or more of those ingredients comprise a large amount of packaged "food.") It's convenient, tasty, addictive, and calorie dense while also being incredibly unsatisfying.

Buying convenience foods (fast food or similar) may or may not be more expensive than going healthy, but buying unhealthy from a local grocer tends to be somewhat cheaper than healthier alternatives. And this is *bargain* healthy items. If I wanted organic meats and vegetables I'd be shelling out a lot more.

Cooking your own meals will save bundles of money. Keep it up, cats :3.

9. Poster Nutbag

It's largely because beans are a staple of my healthy diet... Nothing is cheaper than beans. But even still, eggs are $2 a dozen, in season veggies are usually cheap, water costs nothing, meat eaters can get chicken or junk cut beef for very cheap, healthy grains like barley cost next to nothing, the only thing That's part of my diet that's expensive is the fancy steel cut oats I get. I just have no idea how one could spend less and manage to get more food.

10. Reptile

Reptile Semi-Professional Butthole Spelunker

I tied my feet together and climbed the big tree for the first time in forever. Took way to long, but i still made it to the top

Wolfcat and Misskin like this.
  11. MurphyAlter

Whether or not it's a real conspiracy, it's certainly a real phenomenon.

Misskin likes this.
  12. MurphyAlter

Yeah, kind of hard when the carnivore of the house insists on cooking, and complains if anyone else does it.

13. Reptile

Reptile Semi-Professional Butthole Spelunker

buy your own groceries to cook your own meals

14. Wolfcat

That seems like the strangest thing to complain about... somebody else cooking. Do you know what his/her issue is? Would they really get mad if you steamed up some vegetables on the side?

15. Misskin

@MurphyAlter
    That's what I've been doing. I make sure to clean up every pot and pan I use once I'm done, and I put labels on the food I make so it doesn't get tossed out by mistake. I realized pretty quick attempting to cook for the whole house is a waste of time, everyone around here is pretty set in their eating habits

16. YogSothoth

YogSothoth Most definitely a vagina wielder

I just did a home workout of 7 minutes. I listened like a good pup to the app on my phone, that told me to do pushups, squats, lunges, etc. And then I meditated (some guided thing of 10 minutes) for the first time in ages. Go me!

vahaala, Nidhogg and Wolfcat like this.
  17. Nidhogg

Nidhogg Active Member

What kind of music do you guys listen to while working out? I usually listen to some rockmusic from the 1980's. :cool:

18. Wolfcat

Whatever puts me in the mood to move, or focus. I mostly listen to video game OSTs and remixes. Often from games I've played, or watched, so the music has a little extra emotional kick to it.

Hotline Miami's OST is a favorite of mine for working out right now. Especially this song

If I want to get through a particularly tough set, I crank that one up.

19. Wolfcat

Oh, I wanted to post one of my back body weight exercises. The back is a bit of a pain to train without weights. Pullups are good, but they don't hit everything. This is something I've been doing a lot of lately:
    t2tx0.gif t2uyk.gif
    Excuse the shit .gifs. makeagif was not loading my damn videos, so cruddy imageflip is where it's at today.
    It's basically a wall-sit without the wall, and you're supported by your shoulders and back instead. Squat down as close to parallel as you can (the closer you are, the harder it is, so you can adjust the difficulty based on your squat angle) Drop your shoulders down and back, arms to the side, back straight, core tight and hold yourself in place by your hands. You can either static hold, move up and down, or even use one hand (which is very tough!)

I can hardly do these for more than a few minutes at a time (if you can, you might be using the wrong form, or you're pretty darn strong.)

20. AdorableDurian

AdorableDurian Well-Known Member

I am grudgingly getting back into the workout game, dropped it when I got super sick and god know's gaining the motivation to start back up is ridiculously hard.

But whatever, started my first day of Insanity today, again, and am already hating myself. I remember not wanting to walk after the first week last time I did this junk, lol.

Wolfcat likes this.