1. NEW TRADE POLICIES COMING TO FORCE SOON: IMPORTANT READ!: READ HERE

Unique, Sexy Costume Pieces

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Caracal, Oct 30, 2014.

1. Caracal

Caracal Warm-blooded Cat Furniture

Whether you're shopping for Halloween, cosplay, sexy playtime, or just hanging around the house, it can be hard to find that one perfect item you've always wanted. I thought it might be fun and helpful (though detrimental to our pocketbooks) to post links to any items you've stumbled across that seem particularly unique or hard to find. (I hope I've posted this in the right forum!)

Guidelines:
    - Feel free to post items that you make, or items made by others.
    - Feel free to post either individual items or just stores with lots of good stuff.
    - If it's an item you have already purchased, that's a big bonus: post a quick review to go with it!
    - Bad reviews can be just as helpful as good reviews, so feel free to post those too, but try not to rant or launch a vendetta against a company here: complaints are good info, but I'd like to keep this thread strictly informational rather than emotional.
    - Stuff that can be purchased via the internet would probably be most helpful, but brick & mortar stores could be useful too (especially if they're in major population centers).
    - It's okay to post "wanted" questions ("I'm looking for a sexy werewolf mask, has anyone found one?"), but please do NOT conduct business transactions here. Take it to PMs.
    - Please only post items that are still available for purchase, or at least vendors that are still in business.
    - Try to stick to very unique items. Examples: Generic leather corset: no. Rainbow Dash corset: yes. (Yeah, I know the distinction is really fuzzy here. I'm not going to jump down your throat for toeing the line; I'd just like to avoid cluttering the thread too much.) Oh, to hell with it: if it's something you love that you can't just pick up at walmart and you want to share it with the world, post it here.
    - Try to post keywords rather than just links and pictures, so people can search the thread.

I'll start off with two of my own, and copy-paste the reviews I posted on their websites:

--------------------------------------------------------
    Dragon/Wolf Clawed Gloves from Medievalfashion on Etsy
    https://www.etsy.com/listing/101614242/black-leather-gothic-steampunk-claw
    I own the black-matte version with black claws, and I was really happy with them. They come in a variety of colors and patterns. They're a little expensive ($60), but that's pretty good compared to what I've seen elsewhere.
    It shipped within 25 minutes of me placing the order! I was very impressed when they arrived: they look just like they do in the photo, and they're very well made. They're a bit big for my small female hands (I have to pull the buckle as tight as it will go), but I would still very happily wear these as part of a costume. They fit my husband's hands very well. Notes to other buyers: Your fingers and palm are exposed when wearing these; the claws move with your knuckles, but your fingertips are visible and free to do fine tasks. I could almost type while wearing them! The claws are a bit sharp: I would not classify these as "weapons" by any stretch, but I may either file down the clawtips or wrap them in electrician's tape to avoid accidentally scratching people.

Epic Leather, on Etsy
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/EpicLeather
    This is a storefront for a leather craftsman, making all kinds of very high quality leather masks, gloves, etc. Prices range from $50 on up to eye-popping $4000 armor (though there's a lot more of the former than the latter). It's mostly dragons, but there's also sci-fi, guy fawkes, skulls, etc, and even most of the dragons have a non-specific look to them (i.e. you could just as easily call them "sorcerer's masks" or ascribe them to other mythical animals). Each item is hand-made, and you can request custom alterations. I own this one: https://www.etsy.com/listing/176883072/earth-dragon-oni-leather-mask?ref=shop_home_active_14
    An exquisite piece of artwork, worth every penny. It looks exactly like the photo. Very well made, very professional, and it shipped ahead of schedule. Notes to other potential buyers: (1) It stays put reasonably well. I don't think I could jog or dance while wearing it, but I'd be perfectly comfortable wearing it to a party or cosplay event. (2) The brow is a little uncomfortable. My husband had no trouble wearing it for 20 minutes (we haven't had a chance to try it out for longer), but I think it would start to hurt after a couple hours (a little bit of felt might fix this, or at least take an occasional break). (3) This mask would fit a large range of head sizes/shapes: both my husband and I can wear it comfortably, and that's no mean feat!

Last edited: Nov 5, 2014
    Reptile likes this.
  2. Reptile

Reptile Semi-Professional Butthole Spelunker

This is an amazing thread already, I think I'll be getting that motorcycle mask.

3. Caracal

Caracal Warm-blooded Cat Furniture

(Digging through closet in search of more unique items to keep the thread alive...)

Mass Effect N7 Leggings, sold by Pink Queen
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00H99V6HQ/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    These are NOT the same as the N7 leggings sold by Black Milk (available at http://blackmilkclothing.com/products/mass-effect-n7-leggings). The Pink Queen version is a hell of a lot cheaper ($20 vs. $80), though it may be lower in quality. Since I only own the Pink Queen ones, I'll review those. This website did a lovely comparison of the two, and I 100% agree with their assessment of the Pink Queen ones: http://www.dailydot.com/geek/black-milk-versus-generic-leggings/ (The only complaint they had that I did NOT have was that their Pink Queen pair had incomplete dying; mine were dyed all the way to the cuffs just fine.)
    I felt so silly buying these...I mean, when would I possibly wear them? But my SO bought them for my birthday and I quickly christened them the "pants of awesomeness". In short, they're not the greatest, but I'm very happy. I'm 5'5", 125 lb, and the medium fits me perfectly.

Cons:
    - The crotch stitching came undone within 1-2 wearings, just like in the article. I was not amused. I don't own a sewing machine, but I do own a few needles and some simple thread for hand-stitched repairs. I sewed it up, sealing the original opening and generally strengthening the entire area. They have not torn since.
    - The colors are a little off. The red is slightly orange-y, and the black is slightly gray/blue. It's barely noticeable until you actually try to wear a black shirt with them: then it's irritatingly obvious. Recommend a red or gray shirt, or (if you're just hanging around the house) a mid-drift bearing black shirt or sports bra: when the black shirt isn't right next to the pants, the color difference isn't nearly so obvious.
    - Maybe this is normal with leggings, but they've got an odd effect on my body temperature: they make my legs feel chilled. It's weird, and has nothing to do with how hot or cold the weather is. Probably something to do with circulation, if I had to guess. Nylons don't do this to me.
    - Again, perhaps this is normal with leggings, but I can feel leg stubble through them. Sorry, perhaps TMI, but if you like having some lightweight leggings for summer days in between leg-shaving upkeep, these may not help you.

Pros:
    - They're just plain FUN.
    - Other than the "chilled" issue, they're quite comfy. No itchy seams, and the waistband doesn't pinch.
    - They're not unflattering. I don't like how they squeeze my waist--a little bit of muffin-top there--but a loose T-shirt hides that, and they leave my legs looking smooth and fit (though, in the interests of full disclosure, I am on the skinny side).
    - While the crotch seam was weak, the rest of the seams have held up fine, and the fabric itself is sturdy: I don't anticipate any tears or holes.

-----------------------------------------------

Ladies Steampunk Bracers with Vials
    https://www.etsy.com/listing/185007401/ladies-steampunk-bracer-with-vials?ref=shop_home_feat_4
    I don't own these. Just thought they looked neat.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2014