1. NEW TRADE POLICIES COMING TO FORCE SOON: IMPORTANT READ!: READ HERE

Weight loss support thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Zaphora, Jun 19, 2018.

1. VulpineAurora

VulpineAurora Well-Known Member

The good news is it's far easier to lose recently-gained weight than weight that's been around for a decade! You've got this!

Metabolic rate is even capable of rising to help burn through extra energy. All that you'll really need to do is focus on keeping the processed foods down, eating a good amount of fiber, and just maintaining low insulin levels. The most effective methodology is without a doubt daily intermittent fasting, but if nothing else, just try to avoid snacks. If you want to eat all day, stick to a square three meals, and try to make it so breakfast or dinner is high in healthy fats (think animal fats, saturated is perfectly fine, instead of processed crap like vegetable oil) and protein. This will help maintain a low insulin level, allowing glucagon to rise, and increase lipolysis. Also, I know it may sound crazy, but try to limit eating a lot of protein AND a lot of carbs at the same time. Protein intake in a high glycemic state decimates glucagon levels like nothing else, so if you want some carbs, maybe do those during breakfast in the form of a smoothie with lots of greens and, if possible, in-season fruits. Broccoli sprouts are also excellent.

Villie likes this.
  2. VulpineAurora

Makes no difference to me if this poster reads or responds to me, but I'd like to point out two things:

1) There's no reason to believe you're going to experience muscle catabolism in a low-carb environment. It just doesn't make sense. The body stores fat as a long-term energy source, this is clear to all of us. Why would the mechanisms for energy retrieval then preferentially utilize protein - which can come not just from muscle, but often will actually come from things like loose skin which are also protein! - instead of the massive storehouse it created as adipose tissue in the first place? In extended fasting, there's a minor concern about protein wasting, but considering low-carb tends to mean higher intake of protein along with fats, it's just nonsensical. Our bodies absolutely don't NEED carbohydrate - the only cell that must have glucose is the erythrocyte, blood cell, and we can use non-carbohydrate sources for gluconeogenesis. The brain actually appears to show a preference for ketones over glucose by having a higher uptake affinity for them. That said, it's absolutely possible to have plentiful carbohydrates and be healthy, and we've seen that in the east, Asian countries have been known to eat great amounts of white rice, but they ate rarely, resulting in the same overall low insulin level, and therefore the same general result in a body composition sense as something like a ketogenic diet.

2)I'm all in on seasonings, they make food absolutely wonderful in a whole new way! However, the current dietary guidelines in the US recommend too little, whereas 4-6 grams is absolutely fine and a higher salt intake is correlated to lower risk of death overall, just as higher saturated fat intake trends towards greater health than those trying to attain, say, the 10% or less rule for saturated fat calories.

My intention is absolutely not defamation or anything of the sort, I just believe it's important not only to share information but to try to dispel common myths when we're able to get information that shows otherwise.

Villie likes this.
  3. VulpineAurora

Does that put you at a 16+ hour fasting window for the day? If so, rejoice in that you've done a great deal for success already! Congrats on doing well so far, keep it up!

4. Zaphora

Zaphora Moderator Staff Member

Yeah its surprisingly easy I mean u wasn't expecting it xD

5. Villie

Villie wrow

Thanks for the tips!! I noticed theres a couple different daily intermittent fasting styles when I looked it up (one was not eating all day besides a 4 hour window between 4-8pm with allowance of unprocessed fruits as snacks during the other 20 hours) hmm. I think you mentioned yours was a ahhhh...no eating from 8pm-12pm type thing?

6. Zaphora

7. VulpineAurora

I actually change it up through the week and by the month. Sometimes I do OMAD (one meal a day) so I fast for upwards of 23 hours a day. Othertimes I do 16:8 wher yeah, I'd fast from 8-noon. Right now what I do is full-body resistance training a few times a week, and on those days I eat 16:8, and then I try to do OMAD or fasts longer than 24 hours on any other days of the week. From before my memories really even begin a roughly age 5, I was a consistent cheeto and dorito and etc. eater with basically no real food in my diet up until close to 20 years old. So I've got a lot of work to do to repair my metabolic state to a healthy normal, but I've made extensive progress and have a burning passion for health these days. :)

I do want to bring up that, sad as it is, consuming any carbohydrate, especially fruit or other sugar-containing substances during a fasting window will kill the fast immediately. The spike in insulin is the issue. Theoretically, you could consume pure fat, like a pat of ghee, and that wouldn't break the insulin-lowering portion of your fast, but it will stop any other benefits like autophagy from occurring. It's better to do 16:8 intermittent fasting and eat any carbohydrates in that window than to do 23:1 but consume fruit in the fast, because unfortunately then it's not a fast.

8. Zaphora

I had just a can of tuna as my lunch I'm gonna boil some eggs tomorrow for my breakfast when I do eat...so mostly having tuna and eggs lol I actually like like plain boiled eggs and just plain can tuna lol

9. Zaphora

Gonna try the fasting thing for a full day up to 5-7 pm if possible wish me luck will post progress

10. VulpineAurora

Drink lots of water, I aim for a gallon daily. Adding some salt to your water, or just downing an eighth or quarter teaspoon on occasion, can help as well if you're feeling a bit weak. Don't be surprised if you feel like you've got a bit of an adrenaline rush going on, and take it slow when you start up eating again. :)

Zaphora likes this.
  11. Zaphora

I am getting even lower got to 208.7 today I woke up and I'm not even hungry anymore I think I have adjusted to the time frame of eating (today I'm aiming for 5:30 to eat..) I have a really good feeling about this yesterday I burned off 1,800 calories and I feel even better than I did all week I was sore a bit from my 6 mile walk I did but if I keep at it I feel better and I get used to moving those muscles...

Yesterday I had a dream I was drinking a soda and I woke up laughing about it this morning I am not drinking soda anymore but sometimes my brain makes me laugh really hard...anyways we are gonna have a tritip on 4th of July and corn on the cob I have no idea what else but it doesn't sound as good as it used I can honestly say that

Food isn't as important to me mentally as it is just being there...

Okay so as of yesterday I have not eaten since 8 pm so from 8 pm to 6 pm....

My mom bought me chips (weakness) and yesterday I ate like 1 serving and gave them to my who also like those chips so I wouldn't be tempted...it's crazy how this changes how you see/feel about food...yesterday's dinner was a stuffed bell pepper (rice tomato sauce onions and ground beef as its center and a sprinkle of cheese on top I was able to eat half of it before I had to stop so I know I can only eat a little bit of food now I don't have to limit my portions ad much because I can only eat a certain amount

I have learned to hate cheese....yes it tastes great when you eat it cold but my mom had those fancy cheeses (sticks) and one got left in her bag overnight and I see it the next day it's melted and got left out by accident and it was gooey floating a thick layer of dark orange oil...saturated fat Im guessing but bleh....ewwww ;I.

I can now fit into the smallest seat in the car and the seat belt clasp doesn't stab my thigh anymore because I've gotten thinner I cannot wait to keep going with this I hope I can inspire the rest of my family to start eating better....

Let's do this....

12. Zaphora

Well I took my dog for a walk this morning and we did a 1.7 mile walk it was about 0.85 halfway and we jogged the other 0 85 home (mind you my dog is fat too we are trying to get him skinnier) 56 lb beagle if my dad would stop feeding him human food like doughnuts etc. Anyways I was listening to imagine dragons as I ran (whatever it takes song title) and I had this literal endorphin rush as I ran like it went up my spine to my toes and then back up to my temples....it makes me think of the thrill of the hunt Maybe this is what our ancestors felt when they were hunting (thrill of the hunt) just kind of neat....it reminds me that people are meant to move we were built to be in motion not to gorge on food all day and lay around....

My mom has blood sugar issues and walking would help her levels so much I wish she'd do it more...

I am totally drinking lots of water xD

Apparently tonight's dinner is taco bell....I think I'll just have a bean burrito without onions....just one though... gonna lay down for a bit while I wind down from the walk...

13. Zaphora

Holy cap I did it...I went all the way to 7:45 pm I am l happy it worked out so well and 1,705 calories today it burned off my dinner and I was happy with how I handled it...

I plan on doing it more when everyone else is back at school so more time for me and my exercise...I also realized I thought abut food a lot not because of I was hungry but convenience etc. I was like hmmmm....tomorrow I'm having a hamburger with just the patty no extras maybe tomato on it...

14. Zaphora

Ahhhhh so gross!!!!! I had opened a can of tuna and was going to eat it plain....but it was different this time I saw shiny large circular oval like objects....I pulled one free and it was a fucking fish scale there were dozens of them in the tuna, I just threw it out..

There's no way in hell I am ever eating tuna again....fuck ewwww...

15. Villie

Villie wrow

Haha I've found little bones in canned tuna before, but never scales

16. Zaphora

NEVER ever will I eat tuna again....like ever xD well I'm at 211.1 on the weight loss...I had a couple of bad days but I'm at a steady burning around 1,800 calories a day so that's awesome I try to stay within it. I got up to 214.3 again but have managed to drop it (it's like the most not fun roller coaster ever) I am starting to feel guilt about eating foods it was hot dogs yesterday but I ate one and a half nothing on them no bun I don't think it was that bad...but still the guilt is there none the less...

My ovarian cyst has decided it wants to kill me and it feels like I'm being stabbed with a knife in my lower abdomen xD I hate lady problems *I can't have babies* because of it...go figure anyways gonna try to stick to a few things I like today probably eggs...at least they don't let me down

Ahhhhh bones!!!! Eeek

How are you doing Villie?

17. Villie

Villie wrow

I've been mostly managing to stick to the "Only eat between 10am-6pm or 12pm-8pm" fast! I've noticed my food cravings outside of the window have gone down a lot Haha.

Been going for more whole foods and avoiding processed things. Still havent completely weened off fountain soda yet, but haaaave been drinking it a lot less and opting for water or Panera bread's payapa green tea Haha.

I attempted to find a scale at a couple thrift stores but.. nope. So I dont know how I am weight wise compared to my last weighing at the doctors, but i feel like my stomach looks and feels noticeably smaller? So hmm!

Zaphora likes this.
  18. VulpineAurora

Sounds awesome! Yeah, the cravings really disappear once your body learns it's not going to be taking in energy for a large portion of the day. I've been adapted enough for a while that any time I'm hungry outside my usually-one-meal-a-day window for eating, it's because I'm bored. If I'm busy there's rarely more than a momentary tinge of wanting food.

I saw an interesting study the other day that suggested you can only pull about 31kcal of energy from a pound of body fat in a day; in other words someone with 40 extra pounds can utilize about 1200kcal a day from body fat, and any other energy to reach daily metabolic rate comes from other sources. With that in mind I've begun eating 800-1200 calories a day at my single meal to bring my total energy from food and body fat to approximately TDEE, to see how I feel, and the week I've done it for has gone great.

Villie likes this.
  19. Zaphora

Well I have been fasting up to the point where (did this for a birthday party) I had I think 4 pieces of pizza and that was it...

Nope feeling really guilty about eating it...I burn an average of 1,800 cal a day...by walking gonna change that in august when I have time to actually run...

I'm gonna cut out everything and have the one meal a day so give myself a 2 hour window to eat...

I have realized most of my eating is out of boredom and emotionally eating...

For example if I didn't eat for 4 hours I felt like I need to make up for not eating...who does that...

Kind of at the point where why do I still write this down...is it even worth it?

20. VulpineAurora

Form of accountability. Keeps you true to yourself. It's like journaling, but the fact that other people may read it helps oneself feel self-responsible. 'tis a good thing.

Zaphora likes this.