1. NEW TRADE POLICIES COMING TO FORCE SOON: IMPORTANT READ!: READ HERE

Botany/Horticulture/ Houseplants Galore

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Corbett, May 1, 2016.

1. Corbett

Corbett Well-Known Member

Hello Everyone its Corbett! I thought I would start a thread for people to share their love of all types of plants and share any knowledge over care and tips. If you have any experiences/ cures/tips/or opinions feel free to share them here. After all Most of what I have learned has come from wives tales and secrets whispered among ferns.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I personally raise miniature roses, cacti, succulents and the occasional leafy hanging thing.
    During this spring I am having a lovely spur of new growth from my two miniature roses, even getting a lot (6) buds on my lavender one! I have never seen a lavender one so it's very special to me.

Unfortunately I noticed some golden dust like sheen on the leaves as well as specks on the underside and lastly a slight webbing on stems. I thought it was moldy mildew and sprayed a 3 pest/mite/fungicide.
    on a natural route I do know that neem oil, milk diluted (10%) with water, peroxide and baking soda can help rid fungi.
    I found out its actually spider mites! which soap and water washes can fix. I have also found people suggesting rubbing alcohol, peroxide, soap oil washes, cinnamon + nutmeg dilution and even chamomile tea to help alleviate mites and aphids. :D I'm currently bathing my sweet plants and will post pictures later.

Serathaiya likes this.
  2. Exeter

Exeter Cuddly, Snuggly, Slutty Dragon

@Berit has a green thumb!

Berit likes this.
  3. Misskin

Misskin http://www.furaffinity.net/user/misskin/

I love gardening!
    I currently have a bed of Lantana, a newly sprouted Butterfly Bush, a single tall Rose plant, two Pride of Barbados, and 3 brand new New Guinea Impatiens. Pics some time soon

Corbett likes this.
  4. Corbett

Oooh those sound lovely :D I am excited to see pictures of lovely plants.

Misskin likes this.
  5. MurphyAlter

MurphyAlter The Floofiest

Anyone have tips for getting ants off of our citrus trees? It's so bad we're getting sooty mold, which is usually caused by aphid poop, but it's only ants.

6. GuyStripes

GuyStripes An automatonic shark pirate

I have a small garden behind my house next to the patio. Nothing major, just a couple tomato and cucumber. I also grow aloe Vera in my front yard.

On a related topic, has anyone tried these glow-in-the-dark pots? I'm very interested in trying it out now that it's getting very hot and very bright outside. If it works, I'll probably hang some all around my house.

image.jpeg

Berit and Serathaiya like this.
  7. Blacktongue

Blacktongue Member

Now that, is a..wait for it...bright idea.
    /shot

MurphyAlter, GuyStripes and Exeter like this.
  8. GuyStripes

An idea, unfortunately.

I was reading that the type of paint in the picture I posted doesn't work as well as advertised. Still, my house gets a ton sunlight most of the day, and with it becoming summer, it'll be even sunnier. So maybe?

9. Blacktongue

Blacktongue Member

One could hope.

10. Corbett

While I know the paint is not the same as any of my glow in the dark nail polish I do know that the more paint you apply when it comes to glow in the dark paint usually the better it glows. You'll probably have to put double the coats on and seal it but I still think it's worth a shot. It would probably stick better to a ceramic pot but plastic might be cheaper

GuyStripes likes this.
  11. GuyStripes

I'll definitely still try it and let everyone know how it goes.

Corbett and Exeter like this.
  12. GuyStripes

For anyone still interested, I'm going to stop by Home Depot here in a couple days and pick up flower pots, glow-in-the-dark paint, and an UV light. I'm going to see if natural and artificial light have any major impact on the glowiness of the pots.

I'm also waiting for a new moon phase so it can be as dark out as possible. It's currently a waxing crescent phase, so I'll have to wait a bit

Corbett likes this.
  13. Corbett

I cannot wait to see the results ! If it is at least moderately Successful by your test I will try the same with a couple of my plants. While I don't have as many ceramic pots I do have quite a few herb plants that have plastic pots that could use some decorating. I'll be trying to post my new roses tonight. I'm a little tired from graduation

GuyStripes likes this.
  14. Corbett

Hello everyone I am super sorry for my absence graduation was a mixed surprise but I did snag another pink/purple rose from work. I paid 5 for it so I'm super happy.

On that note for anybody who buys miniature roses from stores I do need to tell you guys that you need to split the plants up before you repot them. Plants will always flower once they're rootbound because they can no longer grow anymore at the Roots. Unfortunately miniature roses get too crowded and need to be put in at least a 5-gallon pot from what I
    have read online. While I don't put them in 5-gallon pots I found that most of my small roses if kept singular can handle smaller pots for the time being.

On another note my miticide soap mix which is Dawn vegetable oil and water has been working wonderfully and I haven't seen another spider mite on any of my plants! I also made my leafy hanging plant extremely shiny and healthy looking so I'm going to start using it on all my plants but my succulents.

One last small tidbit of information I found that roses do best when sprayed with a shower head at both keep the mits off by keeping the soil too moist for them to live and it also helps keep them nice and clean
    IMAG1216.jpg IMAG1213.jpg IMAG1218.jpg

15. MurphyAlter

Screw all that noise. Mix some fluorescent non-toxic stuff into your watering can and start feeding that to your plant. Get a blacklight and you've got some GITD FLOWERS

16. Corbett

I don't know most of my flowers are pretty pigmented already. However my room does have black lights so it might be something to do with some of them.

Edit - I did find articles that said you could use the fluorescence from highlighters and get that to work with cut flowers but I find it highly unlikely they would work with any plant.

17. MurphyAlter

Apparently highlighter fluid works pretty well.

Corbett likes this.
  18. Corbett

that's what I saw. If I get white roses I'll certainly do that

19. Corbett

I have heard that all purpose bug remover for most fruit trees is a mixture of dawn ,vegetable oil ,possibly hot sauce( I know the hot sauce works in this mix on vegetable crops ) and water. You mix in a spray bottle and sprayon the trees till it foams up on the leaves.leave it for a while and rinse off. It's better than pesticides because its natural and it does kill the bugs pretty well. I have no experience with citrus trees but I do know that it has helped in the past on pear trees

20. MurphyAlter

What's your ratios on that?

Also, I don't have a sprayer. Can't use a regular bottle because the thing's considerably bigger than me.