1. NEW TRADE POLICIES COMING TO FORCE SOON: IMPORTANT READ!: READ HERE

Botany/Horticulture/ Houseplants Galore

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Corbett, May 1, 2016.

1. Corbett

Corbett Well-Known Member

I would say 1 cup of vegi oil to 1/4 cup of hot sauce and dawn . I could imagine putting it in a merical grow sprayer could work.

2. Reptile

Reptile Semi-Professional Butthole Spelunker

Im already aware the siding on my house is fucked up.
    [​IMG]

- - - Updated - - -

[​IMG]

- - - Updated - - -

[​IMG]

- - - Updated - - -

[​IMG]

- - - Updated - - -

[​IMG]

- - - Updated - - -

[​IMG]

- - - Updated - - -

[​IMG]

- - - Updated - - -

[​IMG]

- - - Updated - - -

[​IMG]

Corbett, MurphyAlter and Exeter like this.
  3. MurphyAlter

MurphyAlter The Floofiest

Aww yeah, it's lemon thyme up in here~

4. Rassandra Gendal

Rassandra Gendal Well-Known Member

Somebody should have told me about this thread!! I was planning on starting some jalapenos and a few herbs in pots and having them around since I figured a few good spots as far as where I'm allowed to put things around the outside of the unit and where the sun and shade mixes are right, but by the time I got the stuff I needed I wasn't sure if it was too late in the year. I suppose since most of what I'm planning are technically perennials and only "usually grown as" annuals, I might be able to still get them to grow somewhat indoors and move the pots around where necessary...any suggestions on that? For now I'm mainly looking at basil, jalapenos, and rosemary but the latter I know from personal experience how hard it is to kill XD

Two possibilities: The ants could be a species that also is a carrier for sooty mold, or they're herding aphids and you haven't found those yet?

5. MurphyAlter

Sooty mold isn't "carried" by insects, it grows wherever it finds plants covered in insect poop. It doesn't hurt the plant, except for coating the leaves, but a good breeze will flake it off pretty easily. Aphids don't leave the plant, so their poop builds up on it, whereas ants do leave the plant, so their poop shouldn't build up nearly as much.

Could be we have aphids, but I've inspected the leaves and not seen them. Plus the mold is growing on the bark as well, and aphids don't usually hang out there.

Corbett likes this.
  6. Rassandra Gendal

Oh. I assumed it was a pathological parasite mold with the aphids acting as a secondary host. :T

7. MurphyAlter

Nah, just a non-parasitic mold that noms on insect poop.

Reptile likes this.
  8. Reptile

Added some more basil, some sage, and german thyme. Started some zucchini and hot peppers, too.
    [​IMG]

MurphyAlter and Rassandra Gendal like this.
  9. Rassandra Gendal

I'm jalapeno jelly.

10. Corbett

I am loving your use for the pallet as a planter! I never thought of that despite the South finding a million uses for pallets. I wish you most luck with the lavender. All of my lavender plants have died this summer. I haven't the slightest clue

11. Corbett

Thank you for a good piece of advice that I need to know. I would suggest some Neem oil if you are having bug+ mold troubles. Its organic and says its pretty much a cure all. If it can kill mites, moldy mildew without damaging plants I would suggest giving it a try. I know it burns the plant if you apply it in sun, my roses got singed. I have seen that most people suggest rinsing the plants leaves or watering with a prayer if your plant can handle it. It removes the bugs which could help in preventing a second infection.

12. Corbett

I started two lavender plants late a few years back with no ill effects. I have noticed from my current rosemary plant that they are very hardy . I would assume as long as you give them good light, or a indoor growing light, that they would be fine. I know my mini roses are managing to do well indoors on a windowsill so I bet anything can be grown inside.

Rassandra Gendal likes this.
  13. MurphyAlter

Hmm, every preparation I've seen for neem oil also includes dish soap, which is supposed to be effective on it's own. I'd rather just do the soap if it's going to be in there anyway. Really it's a matter of not wanting to get up under a tree full of ants to spray it down...

14. Corbett

Yes it uses the dish soap to hold it to the plant's leaves. Its very little oil too, like a teaspoon or so. You could easily substitute the neem oil with vegetable oil, I know that works well from experience.

15. MurphyAlter

Well like I said, the dish soap itself is supposed to be good for eliminating the mold, I wouldn't even need to add oil.

16. Rassandra Gendal

You pretty much can't kill rosemary. Leave it where it's happy, come back in a few years and you'll find a massive tree-bush of the stuff, rosemary potatoes forever.

Corbett and MurphyAlter like this.
  17. Corbett

Mine is currently in a planter but I cannot wait to have a beautiful trio of rosemary and lavender bushes

18. Corbett

Hello everyone! I'll be posting pictures of my roses grow this week. I was wanting to ask if anybody knew how to get rid of gnats quickly? I've been having some trouble with gnats around my miniature roses and they're getting quite out of hand. I decided to try the neem oil spray that I use for spider mites but the adults are still flying around. I have a cup full of apple cider vinegar and dish soap so we'll see if that works in the next couple of days but I wanted to see if anybody else has any other things I could do

19. Reptile

Time to transplant some zucchini. Getting a little big
    [​IMG]

Corbett and MurphyAlter like this.
  20. Reptile

Ive also been growing sunflowers
    [​IMG]

Amberina and MurphyAlter like this.