1. NEW TRADE POLICIES COMING TO FORCE SOON: IMPORTANT READ!: READ HERE

Menstrual cups

Discussion in 'Help, Questions and How-To's' started by Snærhjarta, Aug 11, 2014.

1. ~Tempest-in-Chains~

~Tempest-in-Chains~ Genderqueer, prefers male pronouns

I made my first sets of pads years ago and haven't gone back to disposables since (well, except keeping some tampons to go swimming). I quite like home-sewn pads; they're super comfortable, not bulky-feeling at all, and not once have I had issues with, er, odour development (can't say the same for disposables!). I wear them out all day, carrying some extra liner layer change-outs and a waterproof zipper pouch for both clean and soiled storage.

Their success really depends on the materials you use, how you stitch them, etc. But cleaning and such is never really a hassle, at least not to me. You have to be sure to rinse well and then soak them for awhile in cold water as soon as possible after changing them so the blood won't set--when you get home is early enough, if out all day--then toss them in the next wash load. (Just a thought: This direct and more intensive handling than a cup or disposables may not appeal if body dysphoria is a strong concern. Despite my own gender identity struggles, I personally enjoy being in touch with this aspect of my biological self, so I can't speak for everyone.) Mine stayed remarkably pristine for a long time until I got lazy/forgetful a few times (using black/dark fabric for the absorbent cores/liners helps with this). Totally worth not buying disposables though, and you can customize patterns and softness/absorbency through fabric choices. Anyway, that's my experience, hope it helps!

I'm also considering trying a cup too; used to find the idea intimidating, but since I started toying it doesn't seem such a mental stretch for me anymore.

2. ~Tempest-in-Chains~

~Tempest-in-Chains~ Genderqueer, prefers male pronouns

These folks make a pretty good reusable pad, but I found them overpriced for the quality. I experienced stitching-related leak issues with theirs that my home-sewn ones seemed to be better at avoiding somehow. But they sell the waterproof carry cases that are a must.

3. Snærhjarta

Snærhjarta Well-Known Member

That's great! How did you make yours?

4. ObeyTheSnarf

ObeyTheSnarf Loser no longer living in my parents' garage

I own one of the Moon Cups sold by GladRags. I like it, but I had to turn it inside-out because the stem kept poking me (even though I'd trimmed it). Turns out there are gripping ridges around the inside of the cup, that was a nice surprise!

I had some issues with it leaking a bit, but for the most part wearing one of those really thin pads worked well for that. It also eventually started trying to escape every time I pooped, not sure why since it's not supposed to do that. I also noticed that I needed to pee more often. Despite all that, I'd still recommend it, and certainly menstrual cups in general.

I also found that it eases some of the dysphoria involved in menstruation. Part of it is since we only hear about pads and tampons in the media, menstrual cups don't have as much societal implication of female-ness, at least in my mind.
    Also I felt like a badass removing and inserting it. >v>

It's also more discreet in some senses, lacking the crinkling noises associated with the wrappers on disposable products. And it's safe to leave it in for up to 12 hours (flow permitting), so potentially you could go out all day without having to tend to it. Also I kind of left it in for longer than that. Many times. As much as 18 hours. But I didn't get sick, which is good.

Since I'm on T now I'm not anticipating any periods in the foreseeable future, unless I decide to stop. So, not my problem anymore as far as I know. XP Still, that's my two cents.

5. ObeyTheSnarf

ObeyTheSnarf Loser no longer living in my parents' garage

[​IMG]
    Shown here, many different brands. Just in case you didn't Google it anyway.
    [​IMG]
    And that's the brand I have.
    If you wanna know how it works then look THAT up yourself. It's not hard to find.