1. NEW TRADE POLICIES COMING TO FORCE SOON: IMPORTANT READ!: READ HERE

The Video Game Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Searlefm, Aug 5, 2014.

?

What are you?

1. Dirty Casual On Console

25 vote(s)
    39.7%
  2. PC Master Race

38 vote(s)
    60.3%
  1. Kitsy_The_Fox

Kitsy_The_Fox Noir Fox

I haven't jammed proper on CS:Source for a while, but I still got some of the muscle memory for Scout shenanigans. Always a blast shooting an awper in the face proper. TF2 I keep putting off to play Fistful of Frags. :D Kinda silly like that. L4D2 I haven't installed but I always did like playing it. Survival mode is a blast to play.

As for Natural Selection 2...I miss playing the original. :<

2. Exeter

Exeter Cuddly, Snuggly, Slutty Dragon

And for the record, it's "Glorious PC Gaming Master Race." :p

3. Kitsy_The_Fox

Kitsy_The_Fox Noir Fox

Okay, this is the result of a bit of time thinking about a picture where a woman remarks that she wishes there were more strong female characters in gaming. The comic itself lists the following women or games as examples (Spoiler Tagged to cut down on size):

The majority of Resident Evil characters, Bayonetta, Faith from Mirror's Edge, Lightning from FFXIII, Parasite Eve, Chun-Li, Samus, Fatal Frame protagonists, SH3's Heather, Dreamfall, any RPG with character creation (you are whatever you want to be, doing whatever you want), Alice of American McGee, TouHou, Zoey and Rochelle from Left 4 Dead, Jade from Beyond Good and Evil, Kaine (who's techncially herm? but notable), Curly Brace from Cave Story, Borderland's women, Monohime from Muramasa....Chelle from Portal (heck Glad0s too), Recette, Joanna Dark from Perfect Dark, Lara Croft, Shepard (can be either male or female, and there are strong female roles in that game too), Amaterasu....

And THEN...I got thinking...and then I came up with my list...

Quistis, Terra, Tifa, Dagger/Garnet Yuna comes into her own (ignoring X-2 for silly outfits), Main Villains in 8 were women sorceresses, 7 had a female chocobo manager, Aerith wasn't afraid to die to save the world, Yuffie was looking for independence from her princess heritage, Elena holds a position among the Turks (who are a Black-Ops task group for Shin-Ra), Scarlet runs the Weapons Division of Shin-Ra...Wild Arms had Cecilia, a princess come into her own by cutting off her hair and choosing freedom and independence over conformity, and an NPC named Calamity Jane (who turns PC in the remake with ANOTHER female NPC genius named Emma, a scientist with awesome abilities) who's independent herself...main boss demon was a woman, one of the best swordswomen in the world was a woman...WA2 had Kanon and Lilka and Marivel coming to terms with their past and becoming stronger characters, Antenora used the leader of the terrorist group Odessa to hurt his heart as much as he had wronged her life...the legendary hero of old who took on the worst threat to life on Filgaia was just an ordinary woman who had taken up a sword to protect life...Wild Arms 3 had a coming of age story as well, with a female rivalry helping Virginia understand how to survive and lead her group...final boss was a girl....

FFXI had plenty of female characters in positions of power, from the Tarus to the Elvaan...one of the best thieves around is a Mithra woman...Ellie from The Last of Us has to become strong and help a fully-grown man survive a near-fatal injury... as a kid...Legend of Dragoon has a woman save your ass FROM A DRAGON within the first three minutes...Chrono Cross has Kid, Chrono Trigger has Lucca as a genius, Marle is a princess who will shoot you in the face with a crossbow...Ayla is a bit sexualized, but still a strong fighter from a period of primitive humans...Elizabeth from Bioshock Infinite undergoes an arc, the leader of the Vox Populi is a woman, Tenenbaum from Bioshock 1.

You really need Cortana in order to do a lot of things in Halo cause Master Chief isn't exactly a master hacker. Chun-Li is strong, but you could argue Cammy, Rose, Juri, Viper, Ibuki, Sakura, and Makoto all have strong characters...most fighting game rosters have strong women. Then there's Meryl and Naomi from Metal Gear Solid...Sniper Wolf...Fortune...EVA and The Boss...

Coco from Crash Bandicoot is depicted as an intelligent hacker...Mona Sax from Max Payne, twice over...main villain from that game was a woman running a large corporation...

Indie games have them too. Bandage Girl subverts the kidnapping trope at the end by kicking the crap out of Dr. Fetus. Iji has your protagonist as a teenage woman standing up for the remnants of humanity that survived, and you can choose to be a pacifist or fight for your right...there's a lesbian couple for one alien race, and the other alien race has one that's nigh indestructible and another that's a highly trained assassin. Knytt Stories features Juni, who's a veritable ninja. Ib has plenty of emotion without having to say a word. Witch's House has two female leads in it as well. Yume Nikki has a metric ton of symbolism in it, telling much about Madotsuki's life and relationships with the world around her.

You could argue in some cases they aren't the protagonists or lead role, but they're still strong characters.

That was just me going off the cuff. I'm pretty sure I could dig even further. So I wanna throw this out there, cause I wanna see how deep this rabbit hole actually goes: Can you name your own personal list of female characters (well-written, strong, prominent, or otherwise) that you know of?

4. BigBadWolf

BigBadWolf lmnop

Alex in Half life 2, the girl in unreal 2, the girl In Mass effect 3 (or 2?)

5. Exeter

Delphine from Skyrim... Lelianna and Morrigan and Flemeth from Dragon Age 1... Bastilla, Atris, KREIA, from KOTOR I & II... those are just the first few to jump into my mind as majorly influential and important characters.

6. GuyStripes

GuyStripes An automatonic shark pirate

It's almost 5 in the morning, I'm watching SCP: Containment Breach Lets Plays, and wondering what to build on Minecraft.

May end up connecting the two.

7. Dracoa

Dracoa Well-Known Member

Strong women in gaming? Any RPG playable character. For instance Chrono Trigger's Lucca, Marle, and Ayla.

8. blackpaw

blackpaw Silky smooth paws for sale

How about Lara in the last reboot of Lara Croft?

9. Misskin

Misskin http://www.furaffinity.net/user/misskin/

I need to play Gnar as of last week (spoiler: he hasn't been out that long, that's just HOW BAD I wanna play)

10. Kaiyodei

Kaiyodei vaguely coherent

I almost want to go back to the joy and love of the geeking out and having the exuberance and enthusasim of the games. i tried to kill it. and I had just been using zelda classic quests. I guess I am mourning that trying to kill the importance. so then i can do it and transform into other people, and no "obcess" and focus on a current rpg to play when I could be learning things that people do. like get to driving and learn how to enjoy places, or get guys at social venues and not spending weekend nights in my room with a video game, when I can be giggling and dancing with cocktails, or being a flirty thing with a caffine drink.

and so goes the confused thrashing in my head.

11. Misskin

Misskin http://www.furaffinity.net/user/misskin/

Orrrr you could go to a place where gamers gather to socialize and celebrate their love of games. There is no need to pick one over the other, let yourself enjoy your pastimes

12. Hybrid88

Hybrid88 Underwear Bulge Lover

Feel free to add me on Xbox Live - Bill The Kill. I have 360 and Xbox One. Also on steam - Neohybrid18

13. Kaiyodei

Kaiyodei vaguely coherent

they don't advertise much then. and I'm not willing to drive 50 miles into the city. just because it is 50 miles dosen't mean it is going to take me 50 minutes to get to NYC. and flirting in a game stop might get me in trouble if i talk to someone 16. sometimes those guys look 18 because of their size and some grow face hair at 14.

meetup.com lists a singles mixer for NYC for gamers and any kind of popular medica geeks. and one cannot keep a consistant 60 miles per hour pase there where I live. roads, and bridge and stop lights

Last edited: Aug 17, 2014
  14. Kitsy_The_Fox

Kitsy_The_Fox Noir Fox

Downloading Borderlands 2. Mostly for the fact it's free and I need one more game to benchmark this system in my mind. Metro 2033 put it through its paces, so higher-end games can still be fussy but managed with lower settings. I just want to see if that holds up for even more recent games.

15. blackpaw

blackpaw Silky smooth paws for sale

BL 2 is a fun game, basic shooter

16. vahaala

vahaala Nobody wants him, he just stares at the world...

Agreed, but playing alone can become boring quickly :p

17. GuyStripes

GuyStripes An automatonic shark pirate

Playing Dishonored.

Actually a fun game. I'm doing a "hard" playthrough. Can't kill a single enemy and can't be spotted on every single level, also no upgrades. Stealth really isn't hard once you pick up on the AI's patterns.

18. SnowLycan

SnowLycan ☆*:.。.Mahou shoujo.。.:*☆

5 nights at freddy's. Super scary.

gerbilfluff and Exeter like this.
  19. Exeter

WHAT ARE YOU INSANE???

KEEP YOUR EYES ON PIRATE COVE

20. SnowLycan

SnowLycan ☆*:.。.Mahou shoujo.。.:*☆

But foxy only gets activated if you look at pirate cove if you avoid it he doesn't activate. But the evil developers on nights 2 and above put you straight on that camera activating him.
    The first time I saw him running down the hall I was like wtf!????
    No matter how many times I see the game I can't stop jumping. I think it's the metallic screeches they make. Although Chica is the scariest looking in the game.

RedVixenFur likes this.