1. NEW TRADE POLICIES COMING TO FORCE SOON: IMPORTANT READ!: READ HERE

What Is On Your Mind?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kitsy_The_Fox, Aug 5, 2014.

1. bronson_twist

bronson_twist Silicon connoisseur!

Well it's "clean" in comparison to most of my other commissions. For example
    1421648793.nuzzo_moan.jpeg

Plus most of us would already be very careful about looking up any furry stuff at work anyway I'd have thought.

MurphyAlter, ryan8825 and Exeter like this.
  2. bronson_twist

Trust me when I say that it only gets worse the more you look into it. We have about 7 different databases for different things, all of which have completely different coding and don't talk very well if at all to each other.

Exeter likes this.
  3. Exeter

Exeter Cuddly, Snuggly, Slutty Dragon

Time to shove it all into SAP and hope for the best?

4. bronson_twist

Nope. The government spent about $70 million a couple of years back creating a new database to merge them all together. It worked perfectly, except for the small fact it couldn't import/read the data from the old database and was going to cost another $80million or so to fix. So it was scrapped and we're left with the same crap.

Exeter likes this.
  5. Exeter

Exeter Cuddly, Snuggly, Slutty Dragon

Well that's a giant flippin' disaster eh? In Canada we just moved most of our social services to SAP and combined most of the organizations that provide those services into one big one. Human Resources and Skills Development Canada became Shared Services (aka Service Canada) and everybody made a reasonably smooth transition over! The average citizen certainly isn't getting screwed by the change.

6. ~Tempest-in-Chains~

~Tempest-in-Chains~ Genderqueer, prefers male pronouns

What's on my mind? How long it's been since I participated here, and how good I feel after a session of orgasming at 3-5 sec intervals for at least 1.5 hrs straight. And now my hand is tired... but my recently smashed and bruised big toe feels a hell of a lot better (soooo much endorphins).

bronson_twist likes this.
  7. scalie

scalie back pokin' snake

it always seems I get ideas for projects right when I have almost no money. grrrrr...

8. Jazzi the Pegasus

Jazzi the Pegasus Something Original

I'm really wishing other companies did penetrables (EE or FB) so I could submit designs to them.

9. ~Tempest-in-Chains~

Ideas? Do tell! I enjoyed the PVC bow invention.

10. bronson_twist

Yeah, I'm not exactly loving my government right now... When the prime minister is holding a candle light vigil for two drug smugglers on death row you know they haven't got their priorities straight. THEY'RE DRUG SMUGGLERS, THEY KNEW THE RISKS WHEN THEY CHOSE TO TRY AND SMUGGLE DRUGS IN INDONESIA. End rant...

Maybe the government can follow Canada's lead and get something right...

Exeter and Abylgan like this.
  11. ~Tempest-in-Chains~

OK, I lied... my toe still f*cking hurts. LOL Think I'm going to lose the toenail. Squicks me right the heck out, that thought. But, better than having broken anything I guess (still not so sure about that).
    Quick tip folks: always adequately secure a closet shelf in place before testing a load on it... and don't get your foot in the way when it falls. :p

12. scalie

scalie back pokin' snake

if I had the cash I'd get one of these
    4x4-stake-anvil.jpg ($125+ insane shipping for a big chunk of steel)
    a forge, a few mid price small sledge/engineer's hammers to modify and make into other types of hammers that are ridiculously expensive. rounding hammers, cross piens (lol, someone said peen! :confused:) some round stock to make dishing plates and other stuff.

all in all a basic starting blacksmith setup would be pretty pricey

~Tempest-in-Chains~ likes this.
  13. ~Tempest-in-Chains~

Yes, but undeniably awesome.

14. scalie

scalie back pokin' snake

also there's the fire hazard/carbon monoxide hazard. can't work anywhere that there are lots of nooks and crannies and boxes full of dust and chemical bottles. some idiot in my sculpture class at my school mistakenly mixed acetone and peroxide and ended up almost catching themself on fire. I'm surprised it didn't end up spontaneously combusting before he accidentally threw sparks too close to it. a nice spacious room with plenty of ventilation and everything flammable kept safe inside metal cabinets is a must

15. ~Tempest-in-Chains~

Ahhhh, so plenty of "incidental" costs for the working environment too I see.

16. scalie

scalie back pokin' snake

yep, anytime you're working with fire, metal, or chemicals you want to make sure nothing is left up to chance. proper safety and storage equipment can keep painful and often deadly accidents from happening.

17. ~Tempest-in-Chains~

Yeah, especially if you have an airheaded moment like me (who's usually super diligent) during a chem lab experiment and turn away briefly from the fumehood with a beaker full of chemicals (including boron gas) to ask the university lab instructor if your test is proceeding correctly. (I was so embarrassed and terrified in that moment). So yeah even split-second lapses in judgement can be deadly--safety measures and procedures (and a clear head) FTW!

18. scalie

scalie back pokin' snake

in my chem lab the student that used the same lab station before me never cleaned up their equipment so I'd usually go to get beakers and graduated cylinders out of the storage drawer for my station and end up with various acids and toxic stuff on my hands, one time it was a 3 molar NaOH solution, not fun. luckily it has to sapponify the oils on your skin before it can really start eating at you. good thing it was relatively weak too

19. Shardik

Shardik Well-Known Member

Man, I hate "hack week" in a corporate environment. It's like, "You're clever. We know we've been under-using you. So now, you have a week to come up with something really impressive, which we'll sell the fuck out of, and pat you on the head, if it's cool." I reserve my creativity for things other than my corporate master, thank you very much.

20. scalie

scalie back pokin' snake

that's when you design/code/build something awesome out of your garage and patent it. as long as it doesn't use any company resources or anything that could be classified as a "trade secret" then the company you work for has no claim to it